FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cooling Fans Never seem to shut off

Cooling Fans Never seem to shut off

I have read several posts and it sounds like having a stock 185degree thermostat will open at temp and allow hot fluid to the radiator and the fans will turn on at around 192 or so and then shut off at 185. This tells me that the fans will pretty much always be on when the thermostat is open. So i wonder if it would be a good idea instead to place the optional 174 degree thermostat and allow circulation of the radiator fluid to the radiator to cool and not need to constantly have the fans running? Any thoughts on this?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The engine needs to be 180°F for lubrication and to run properly.
    To help the O2 sensor warm up and get he system into closed loop, use a 190°F thermostat.

Those posts do not agree with the manual.
    The thermostat starts to open at 185°F-192°F. It is open fully at 212°F. (WS Manual A:01:01)
    The fans come on at 206°F and go off at 195°F. (WS Manual C:14:01)

so i would expect that it is ok and normal for the fans to run so often?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yes...It depends on the ambient temp and the load you put on it. EG, it's 80°F here now and I just replaced a hose. Once warm the fans ran (guessing) ~5 minutes then off ~5 minutes idling... above 45-50 MPH they didn't kick on.
    If the ambient is hotter or you run the AC, the fans will come on more often and stay on longer. The AC forces the fans to run whenever the compressor is engaged no mater what.