FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering column bushing / scorn shaft

My VIN:    5611

Steering column bushing / scorn shaft

Has anyone seen this before? I was getting prepped to remove the column to assess how ovaled the shaft hole is when i noticed that the steering column shaft has a v shaped groove all the way around it. At first i thought it may have been the slot where the retaining bolt sits in when its inside of the u joint, thinking that the PO may have done a bad job of reattaching the shaft to the u joint.

Looking at it closer, it lines up right at the holes edge. Did years of driving without a bushing do this? Or is that groove supposed to be there? It almost looks to perfectly machined to be from rubbing.

Any thoughts?

See attached photos. If they arenkt tjere let me know. Im new at the forum and trying to get used to using it
    Attached Images

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

bushing

Looks like your steering bushing parted
    company years ago. How many miles?...

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Looks like your steering bushing parted
    company years ago. How many miles?...

Im aware of the bushings going bad. Im curious about the groove in the.column shaft

My VIN:    5312

My car is a 37k Mile car. When i first got my car in 2014, this was an issue. Talked to Toby from delorean parts nw. He was going through my car and found the bushing missing. and this same thing with the steering column section worn like that. It should be replaced and then a new delrin bushing put it. he told me, he has had a car at one point have something like this happen and the steering column actually came in two and the driver could not steer the car because it was not connected. Although he said it luckily happened in a neighborhood but YES I would get that check out and or replaced as well as a new bushing.

EDIT: did some digging, here is a photo of what mine looked like without a replacement. Mine more than likely was missing the bushing for many years before i had the entire section replaced. Good catch btwminew.jpg
    Last edited by Riley88; 07-30-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    My car is a 37k Mile car. When i first got my car in 2014, this was an issue. Talked to Toby from delorean parts nw. He was going through my car and found the bushing missing. and this same thing with the steering column section worn like that. It should be replaced and then a new delrin bushing put it. he told me, he has had a car at one point have something like this happen and the steering column actually came in two and the driver could not steer the car because it was not connected. Although he said it luckily happened in a neighborhood but YES I would get that check out and or replaced as well as a new bushing.

EDIT: did some digging, here is a photo of what mine looked like without a replacement. Mine more than likely was missing the bushing for many years before i had the entire section replaced. Good catch btwminew.jpg
    Thank you for that photo. Thats what i was looking to find out. I may weld it closed or use it to my advantage by trapping grease in the groove when the new bushing arrives. Ill need to see how think the bushing is. When you replaced the bushing, how bad was the hole ovaled out?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Lots of miles with no bushing. Doubtful a new bushing is going to fit in that enlarged hole and you should fix that groove in the shaft. The shaft can be welded up and ground smooth. The hole on the other hand should be enlarged, a small piece of sheet metal made to fit with a new hole in it for the new bushing. You assemble it all and then pop-rivet the metal plate in place so everything lines up nice.
    David Teitelbaum

I don't have photos. But we used a rubber mallet to tap the new bushing in. I would seriously look into getting the groove either filled in or replaced. It appears you have the original steering shaft too. If you have the budget check out the beefier one the vendors sell made by borgeson. It's amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1830 View Post
    Thank you for that photo. Thats what i was looking to find out. I may weld it closed or use it to my advantage by trapping grease in the groove when the new bushing arrives. Ill need to see how think the bushing is. When you replaced the bushing, how bad was the hole ovaled out?
    I am not sure how ovaled out mine was, but it fits with a new steering column and bushing so snug no issues so probably not too ovaled out

Thank you for all the replies. I was surprised to find the original bushi g still in fhe car hidden on the small ledge below the hole. I planned on making a new piece or repairing the ovaling. Ill weld up the column shaft as well. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt supposed to be there or if it served some weird purpose before doing so

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't try to reuse the old bushing. If it came out it is no good and if it is the original, it is soft rubber and won't last especially being over 30 years old. The new ones are more solid (Delran or nylon) and will last a LOT longer. When you get the new bushing you can check how it fits into the hole. If it fits loosely you know what you have to do. Don't try to weld the hole up, you will not get it right. That hole has to be precisely in the right spot.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast