FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Fans and Fan Shroud

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Replacing Fans and Fan Shroud

I am wanting to replace my stock fans with the lower amperage fans from DI to limit how much of a beating the electrical system takes though the stock fans with Bitsyncmaster's Fan Relay and Fan Fail Unit have been amazing so far.

Is it possible to unbolt the existing fan shroud and drop it out without having to drain the system and take out the radiator? In my mind, it should be fairly easy but I have noticed a few people throughout various threads here that mentioned that dropping the fans was an utter nightmare.

I had hoped to find a How To Guide or any other thread specifically dedicated to this task on either DMCTalk or DMCToday however I came up short.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    03572

I have dropped the shroud on two cars with the fans still installed. You have to drop the "sway" bar for the OEM fans to clear. Just have to have a good assortment of 1/4" drive sockets, extensions and wrenches. If the blots stick, work them back and forth carefully so as not to break any. So no need to drain cooling system or drop the radiator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    I am wanting to replace my stock fans with the lower amperage fans from DI to limit how much of a beating the electrical system takes though the stock fans with Bitsyncmaster's Fan Relay and Fan Fail Unit have been amazing so far.

Is it possible to unbolt the existing fan shroud and drop it out without having to drain the system and take out the radiator? In my mind, it should be fairly easy but I have noticed a few people throughout various threads here that mentioned that dropping the fans was an utter nightmare.

I had hoped to find a How To Guide or any other thread specifically dedicated to this task on either DMCTalk or DMCToday however I came up short.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    The only advice I have is get a strong friend to help push and pull on the radiator to try to find the little room there is to get those big fan motors out.. Now the fans won't drop straight out there will be a fight!

Doing this without taking the radiator out or totally removing the anti sway bar is a big PITA but I did it all by myself it took all day.

Dave B.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

I’m interested in doing the same thing. Living in Florida my fans are on most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    3294

It's a pain to do it without dropping the radiator, but it can be done. I did it earlier this spring when I upgraded my fans and shroud. However, I ended up developing a hairline crack in my 2015 DMCH replacement radiator, so I ended up having to drop and drain the radiator anyway.

If you're wanting to just replace your fans with new low current models, DMCH sells new units that will bolt up directly to your existing shroud. If you're dead set on replacing the shroud "just because"... I would highly steer you toward Josh Bengston's set at Delorean Industries.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    It's a pain to do it without dropping the radiator, but it can be done. I did it earlier this spring when I upgraded my fans and shroud. However, I ended up developing a hairline crack in my 2015 DMCH replacement radiator, so I ended up having to drop and drain the radiator anyway.

If you're wanting to just replace your fans with new low current models, DMCH sells new units that will bolt up directly to your existing shroud. If you're dead set on replacing the shroud "just because"... I would highly steer you toward Josh Bengston's set at Delorean Industries.
    I just purchased Josh's fans from DI and should have them by this weekend. Hopefully this won't be too difficult... I know the previous owner (tommyrich) originally had swapped the fans out and then back to stock at one time so I don't expect any issues out of the bolts. I'll have to figure out how to remove the sway bar and go from there.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you still have the OEM radiator with the plastic tanks, just replace the radiator too. Those little bolts and nuts are a real PITA and if they have not been touched in a LONG time expect to snap many of them off. Since you say things were recently worked on, you may be fortunate and will be able to remove them easily. Draining the radiator and refilling the system, IMHO, is easier than disconnecting the sway bar and trying to get the parts out in the limited space.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6472

On a somewhat related note...

Does anyone know how much the stock shroud/fans weigh and how much the aftermarket (stainless) ones weigh in comparison?

My VIN:    10201

I tried replacing just my fans and shroud while also the front end recall. I had the original radiator so while removing the bolt by the passenger side connection, I broke the plastic side tank. The plastic was too weak and the force of backing the bolt out caused it to crack. An all aluminum radiator might not have this issue.

Another problem I ran into was the the DPI shroud holes did not line up with the DMCEU radiator I got. This was an easy fix out of the car, but would be a pain if the radiator was still installed.

In all, it's better to just replace the radiator to an all aluminum one while you do the shroud assuming you have the budget for it. You might want to replace your support braces too. I sheared the stud out of one of mine.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I tried replacing just my fans and shroud while also the front end recall. I had the original radiator so while removing the bolt by the passenger side connection, I broke the plastic side tank. The plastic was too weak and the force of backing the bolt out caused it to crack. An all aluminum radiator might not have this issue.

Another problem I ran into was the the DPI shroud holes did not line up with the DMCEU radiator I got. This was an easy fix out of the car, but would be a pain if the radiator was still installed.

In all, it's better to just replace the radiator to an all aluminum one while you do the shroud assuming you have the budget for it. You might want to replace your support braces too. I sheared the stud out of one of mine.
    The issue is not with our shrouds. They are a precision component with high tolerances held. The disclaimers for the above mentioned radiator on Delorean go is plenty to substantiate where the problem is during fitment. https://www.deloreango.com/us/delorean-radiator.html
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast