FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AC/DMC - electric powered DeLorean

My VIN:    3015

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    Found this pic of your car in 1988. Wow!!
    Wow! I had always assumed the car was a clone of the banks car. The twin turbo setup had a lot of home made parts on it and was a bit cobbled together - however they're correct in that it is a stage block. And has the belt driven oil pump. Some of the engine bay bits match up. The kicker is the plate matches the plate I have (V6 Buick). My guess is someone picked it apart and messed with it - a lot. Then it sat for a long time.

The heat and AC do not currently work. I'm in the process of wiring the HVAC setup, and installing a vacuum pump for the diverter doors, etc. I have an A/C Compressor from the Nissan Leaf that is driven by the HV battery - I'll install that up front. For heat, I may be able to use the heat-pump method that Nissan uses (run the A/C in reverse). Alternatively I can go resistive.

My VIN:    10201

Nice to see it finally posted here! First good shot of the "transmission" mounts that I've seen. I mentioned in another thread that this was the inspiration for my conversion.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

How far can you drive at highway speeds before needing to re-charge?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    How far can you drive at highway speeds before needing to re-charge?
    Around 70-90 miles or so. I have a 24kWh battery pack in it now. Generally speaking most electric cars will go 3-4 miles per kWh. Some a little more and some less. My plan is to upgrade to around 60kWh so I can get a good 200 mile range. That coupled with direct DC charging would give me pretty good practical range. I basically could take it anywhere at that point.

The Nissan Leaf was never offered with 350HP, so is it typical to increase the power to these types of electric motors to increase the horsepower? If you know that it will make 350HP @ 800 phase amps, will it do 700HP @ 1600 phase amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    The Nissan Leaf was never offered with 350HP, so is it typical to increase the power to these types of electric motors to increase the horsepower? If you know that it will make 350HP @ 800 phase amps, will it do 700HP @ 1600 phase amps?
    It's very common. As an example, think of R/C cars or planes - where people commonly add more voltage or amperage to increase power. Another example would be guys pumping up their kids power wheels. It's the same for cars. In theory the Leaf motor could do that (700hp). The limitation (generally) comes down to how well you can cool it.

Quote Originally Posted by gotgraham View Post
    It's very common. As an example, think of R/C cars or planes - where people commonly add more voltage or amperage to increase power. Another example would be guys pumping up their kids power wheels. It's the same for cars. In theory the Leaf motor could do that (700hp). The limitation (generally) comes down to how well you can cool it.
    When reading about arlins hi power inverter, I thought that 800amps was about the max the leaf motor could take.

Also could you post a picture of your throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    When reading about arlins hi power inverter, I thought that 800amps was about the max the leaf motor could take.

Also could you post a picture of your throttle?
    No one really knows. I believe Arlin was pretty sure it could hit 500hp. The limiting factors are probably cooling and the gearbox. That said, 350hp is plenty lol.

Here's my throttle setup. It's an EV West pot connected to the factory throttle cable. This is located behind the driver's seat.

Wow... I was thinking of driving to put it closer pedal, but that's way easier. I got the one from Thunderstruck Motors.

My VIN:    16619

Dang, that is awesome. As an Engineer at Nissan, Leaf Owner and DeLorean owner, this is really awesome and basically something I've been thinking about doing myself. Sorry for the million questions, but this is great!

1. Are you using the BMS from the Battery Pack? Essentially, did you just take apart the pack and moved the modules to fit in the vehicle?
    2. Are you using the Leaf Onboard Charger, Vehicle Control Module or any original modules?
    3. Have you modified the 12V System much? It seems like you are doing quite a bit of work to it but wondering how much you are changing.
    4. Are you adding Power Steering to it? Not sure how much more the battery adds to the weight and over all feel of the car while driving.
    5. Since you are using Mechanical Pedal with Pot, does Regen braking still work on it?
    6. Have you considered using the Side Pontoon areas to put some of the Battery Modules?
    7. Did you buy the Powertrain new, used, donor/scrap car?

That's about all the questions I have for now... Again, that is awesome and some great stuff man. Seeing this is very motivating!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast