First: 3.0L EFI here.

I replaced the water pump a couple weeks ago. I noticed the engine temp was a little high the other day (near 220, according to the dash gauge), so I bled the system at the radiator, which I forgot to do last time (I have a self-bleeder at the water pump).

Today it was running a bit hot about, about 7/8 of the way to 220 from the unlabeled tick. But this time I had my laptop — TunerStudio showed 201 degrees. This was at highway speed (around 70 MPH in this case). It was 82 out today.

So, which gauge should I trust? MeagSquirt is reading from a sender mounted on the water pump, while the gauge is still using the original sender location on the back of the cylinder head (I think). Or perhaps both gauges are correct, since they’re measuring different locations?

I bled the radiator again when I got home. There was a hiss, some steam, and then coolant after a second or so, so it looks like I still had air in the system, assuming I’m reading that right.

I consider 220 to be too hot. I know it’s not a red line, but I’m paranoid from overheating issues in the past with the old engine. I also have a 2.5 hour trip each way next weekend, so I’d like to rule out any high temperature issues before then.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

— Joe