FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the reproduction DMCH license plate frame?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Anyone have the reproduction DMCH license plate frame?

Every year I dread replacing my registration sticker on the car because the screw holes on my original license plate frame are more and more delicate each time. Just put on the 2020 reg and I think they're finally done!

I haven't looked for years, but last I heard the OEM plate bezel was NLA. Looked on DMCH again last night and there are reproductions available now. Anyone have one? Any impressions or photos to share?

Thanks!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6125

The details on the reproduction say "modern materials" so I'm assuming that means they are not made with ERM like the originals.

Hopefully they aren't made of the same material as the repro binnacles that warped due to heat

If your original part looks OK minus the tapered screw holes blowing out I think there was a post here somewhere about how to reinforce the back side to fix your original one.

I'm interested to see what the quality is like on the reproductions as well... at $98.56 that's not too bad of a price, all things considered.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The details on the reproduction say "modern materials" so I'm assuming that means they are not made with ERM like the originals.

Hopefully they aren't made of the same material as the repro binnacles that warped due to heat

If your original part looks OK minus the tapered screw holes blowing out I think there was a post here somewhere about how to reinforce the back side to fix your original one.

I'm interested to see what the quality is like on the reproductions as well... at $98.56 that's not too bad of a price, all things considered.
    Yeah, I'm assuming it's not ERM either! It was an interesting idea but just a failure as a material when all was said and done.

And that's exactly the problem - the part is still cosmetically perfect but the screw holes are larger than the screw heads at this point, and I'm no fan of any of the conical washer tricks I've tried.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    And that's exactly the problem - the part is still cosmetically perfect but the screw holes are larger than the screw heads at this point, and I'm no fan of any of the conical washer tricks I've tried.
    I epoxied washers onto the backside of my license plate frame when the holes became enlarged. The screws no longer pull through.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I epoxied washers onto the backside of my license plate frame when the holes became enlarged. The screws no longer pull through.
    Yeah that was the type of fix I remember seeing somewhere. Maybe it was on Facebook or something? Someone glued a 1/4" thick piece of plastic behind the panel and then drilled a hole just large enough for the threads of the screw to pass through . When all was said and done the screw looked like it was sitting at the correct height from the outside and you couldn't tell it was repaired.

Every year I dread replacing my registration sticker on the car because the screw holes on my original license plate frame are more and more delicate each time.
    Do you have to take it off? I positioned my stickers so that they are not under the frame. No removal needed when the new ones come in.
    DB37A24D-FA09-4737-A079-C4FF3F17B2CB.jpg

My VIN:    2245

Interestingly they stopped calling their inferior parts "improved" and now just say "DMC Reproduction Part".

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Every year I dread replacing my registration sticker on the car because the screw holes on my original license plate frame are more and more delicate each time. Just put on the 2020 reg and I think they're finally done!

I haven't looked for years, but last I heard the OEM plate bezel was NLA. Looked on DMCH again last night and there are reproductions available now. Anyone have one? Any impressions or photos to share?

Thanks!
    What about this one:

https://www.deloreango.com/us/licens...-surround.html

However the installation seems a bit of a pain. You would have to remove the taillights to get at the fasteners.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    What about this one:

https://www.deloreango.com/us/licens...-surround.html

However the installation seems a bit of a pain. You would have to remove the taillights to get at the fasteners.
    I can appreciate the no screws look, but it seems like they solved one problem only to create another. It does appear that the studs on the back of the bezel are at the same location as the screws. The studs could likely be removed and drilled leaving a bezel that attaches with screws like the original. I also wonder what the weight of the aluminum version is verses the original?

Ron

My VIN:    10201

I've been working on getting a faro scanner at work. Once we get it, I'll scan parts and upload the stl files to make it available for 3d printing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast