FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Where to search for the a/c drain under the car?

My VIN:    #1550

Where to search for the a/c drain under the car?

Hi!
    I got my DeLorean back last week since it was in the workshop for a major repair/restauration. Also the a/c was repaired.
    Now it is working fine (and cools really good), but today I got a lot of water running from out out the a/c housing in the passenger footwell onto the carpet. There were a lot of waterdrops all around the drain tube which is visible for an inch (in the passenger footwell) and then hides vertically into the fiberglass.

When searching the forum for other people describing similar problems I found descriptions, that this draining tube could be blocked and this might cause this problem.
    I got under the car, but could not see any tube that ended under the car in that area. The tank plate blocked my view, so maybe I have to remove it?

Before I want to do that I would like to ask you for advice, where to search for this tube and how to get there/how to clean it.

Thank you for any description and idea!

Best wishes from hot Germany,

Lars

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A link for some information that might be useful and the video will show you where the drain is:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17...e-installation

The drain hose is between the fiberglass body and frame, passenger side closer to the wheel well than the middle of the frame. It is a tight fit so it is hard to see, you'll need a good light to shine between there. There is no reason to remove the fuel tank plate. People have used a metal rod or metal hanger to clean the drain hose with or shoot compressed air into it (will cause whatever blockage to go back into the box though).
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3937

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The easiest way to gain access to the tube/hose was to go in through the access hatch in the spare tire well. It was the only host that is not firmly secured on both ends and is normally pointed down into the passenger wheel well.

I just finished replacing the drain tube and used Bitsyncmaster's fix of re-routing the tube itself after giving up from many hours of trying to route it through the original location.

Dan (dn010) linked to one of the threads that I scoured and got the idea. A coil boot works perfect to replace the Drain Elbow and if you need one, I have a plethora of spares from the $18 kit that I bought at Autozone.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Explored the tube today...

Dear members,

first of all let me say "THANK YOU!!!" for your help.

I looked at the photos and watched the video. Today I started surgery as it was stated in the video.
    Then I inspected my car. I was unable to find any drain tube near the dryer in the right front wheelhouse.
    I was also unable to see just a bit of the tube in the space between frame and body. So I pulled the drain tube from upside.
    It was easy to remove the tube after heating it up for about 10 seconds. After pulling the drain, about one liter of water (!) drained out of the a/c box.
    I tried to get the tube out of the hole, but it teared up, so I just got the upper part. I donĀ“t know where the rest is stuck...
    It was absolutely closed due to mouse poo and dirt!!! It is no wonder, the condensation was unable to drain...

I ordered a Tygon tube with the diameter as it was used in the video today (I found it on ebay in Germany).
    Tomorrow I will use a foam desinfection spray for the a/c box and as soon as the new Tygon tube arrives, I will shape it as is was made in the video.
    Fingers crossed I will get the new tube inserted in the tiny space as well...

I will write a note as soon as I will have had success or if there were problems.

Once again: Thank you for your help

Best wishes, Lars.

Job done :)

Hi!
    I promised to post the result of my repair.

I did use a desinfection foam for my a/c and it was quite a difficulty to reach the area. I disassembled the ventilator motor and the resistor unit and could grab a lot of leafs and mice poo and things like this. After that I vacuumed the box as good as possible with a tiny silicone tube I assembled to my vacuum cleaner.
    After that I used the foam and now I hope to have it desinfected as well.

The Tygon tube was delivered a few days later and was very different to the material I expected. It was nearly like a silicone tube and to sretch it was really a task. I tried it (as it was described in the video) with hot steam, but that did not work.
    I then used my hot air gun and this worked better but only on the third try it was stretched and turned (and not melted or torn).
    The installation was quite easy. I used a cabe to find the way, fixed the end of the tube to the cable and was able to pull it to its place. Also the adaption the the tube of the a/c box was easy.
    And it works fine.
    I am very happy with the result

Thank you all - one again for your help!!!

Best wishes from Germany,

Lars.