FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine mount stud removal!

My VIN:    03500

Engine mount stud removal!

While trying to remove the engine mounts I snapped off the front driver side part of the stud.
    The stud is seized in good or is it held in by something I'm missing. Looking for tips to get it out?
    And how driveable is it in that condition?

Dave B.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    While trying to remove the engine mounts I snapped off the front driver side part of the stud.
    The stud is seized in good or is it held in by something I'm missing. Looking for tips to get it out?

Dave B.
    It's seized - combination of dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum, and the fact that rust is "bigger" than steel. Is the nut on the other end of the stud still in place? If so, best bet is to leave it there so you can drive the car until your patience level is at an all-time high.

Then remove the other nut (maybe break that one off too!), remove the mount i.e. from the frame, and then carefully and patiently drill out the broken stud. Very difficult since the steel is harder than the surrounding aluminum, and you really want to go slow and drill straight. You may need a longer than standard drill bit. Have a few on hand so that you are always using a sharp bit. It can be done.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03500

Yes the other end is still there.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post

Dave B.
    A few taps on the stud with a mallet will probably show you that the aluminum engine mount portion is cracked, too.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quit while you are ahead on this one. Messing with the other side of the stud is a great way to break that one off too. Attempting to pound the stud out with a hammer is a sure fire way to break the mount off the side of the lower crankcase. The seized dissimilar metal bond is stronger than the motor mount ear! I discovered that first hand in 2001. I ended up removing the entire engine and had a local welding shop weld the mount ear back on the lower crankcase. While it was much easier to remove the broken stud from the mount ear with the mount ear in a vice, I would not recommend going that route! :-) When I installed the new stud, I anti-seized the living heck out of it. I'm happy to report that this engine is now residing in 5052 complete with its welded motor mount ear.

Additionally, I drove 4194 from 2003 until 2016 with one part of the mount stud broken off. I did not experience any negative consequences as a result. Needless to say, I was once bitten twice shy on messing with the motor mount studs after the above referenced 2001 experience.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)