Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

"Wow...that thing sounds mean. Is it fast?"

Stage II owner: "You heard it didn't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "Wow...that thing sounds mean. Is it fast?"

Stage II owner: "You heard it didn't you?"
    Lol, yep!

Speaking of sound, I recently set my fuel mixture to book values and my Stage II is now much quieter. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing. Are they set rich on purpose?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A stock PRV or a Stage II gets a very slight benefit in performance running on the rich side but it kills the catalytic converter (assuming you still have one).
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Stage II, regardless of what it actually puts out in terms of horsepower, is a noticeable performance improvement (it sounds way better too).
    I'm gonna yield to the professional mechanics with the experience on this from the much higher number of vehicles they've encountered. But I can attest to the following:

I once heard a rumor that the PRV kits left the Douvrin factory without their throttle cables being properly adjusted. Lots of slack that prevent the engine from actually hitting WOT...so you never actually extract the full amount of power from the engine since you don't ever get the chance to open it up. Akin to never fully pressing the accelerator down. Again, I don't know how true this is, but I DID find that my own throttle was indeed improperly adjusted. After removing the slack from the rod that connections the spool to the throttle level, I sure as hell noticed a decent amount of additional power. And with adjusting the bracket for the Idle Speed Microswitch, I also had much better throttle response too.

Now there certainly wasn't any earth-shattering performance after, but there was a definite improvement to the performance of the engine.

Which brings me to the question of the Stage II upgrade. If this is a commonplace issue with most cars, as I have been told, could this be a significant factor with the improvement of the Stage II engines? Yes, there are also other parts that go into the upgrade, and they all contribute to the overall results. But a couple of little adjustments for myself made one helluva difference in my own car.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

That helluva difference is what, 5, 6 horsepower? lol
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

You guys have obviously forgotten about the last time this topic came up. It's all about the buttmeter!
    -----Dan B.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5