FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2019 plastic expansion tank options

My VIN:    10270

2019 plastic expansion tank options

I'd like to revert back to a plastic expansion tank, but it looks like the modern repros plastic tanks are no longer available. I head they had issues so I'm OK with not using an original style.

Why do I not want a metal tank? I'm looking to control radiant heat in the engine bay.

I've seen a few cars with tanks repurposed from other cars but a few searches are coming up empty. Does anyone know offhand what these might have been from?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Even if you can figure out what the cross/over is, you will probably wind up with something over 30 years old even if you can find an NOS tank. The design life was not 30 + years. Get the metal tank. I doubt the difference in radiated heat between a metal tank and a plastic tank is going to make a difference.
    David Teitelbaum

Yeah it makes a big difference when you have an air/air intercooler less than 1" away.

There was an owner at DCS16 from the Southwest that had to field replace his tank with a nearly bolt-on, modern plastic part. I can't remember what he said it was from though.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Early BMW e30 (82-86) 3 series and some 5 series have a simular looking plastic tank. They are still available, good quality (never seen one burst) and even have a built in level sensor bung.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...hoCsKYQAvD_BwE

As you can see the mounting bracket is different so that's another issue too.
    That said I know these radiate alot of heat too. Maybe building a heat shield is the best solution

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    That said I know these radiate alot of heat too. Maybe building a heat shield is the best solution
    Thanks for the lead! Matt D is running a Volvo tank, so it looks like there should be a few different options out there to test. I'd like a tank I can check the level on more easily so now seemed the time.

Reviewing data from a couple of cars it's amazing how little time it takes for heat soak to set in. The side of the IC neares the tank feels hotter. IATs get to a certain point and never really ever come back down, even with extended highway speed driving. Slowly working on a duct / pusher fan setup but wanted to make a few smaller changes and study efficacy.

I do have a roll of magic gold tape too but I was saving that for last

My VIN:    Between VINs

It's a bad time when you're looking up to plastic BMW cooling components. They're the universally acknowledged weak link in BMWs for decades.

If I had the same concern I would use something like exhaust wrap and line the outside of an SS overflow tank with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    It's a bad time when you're looking up to plastic BMW cooling components. They're the universally acknowledged weak link in BMWs for decades.
    That's true of the generations after the e30. These older ones last a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    ... Slowly working on a duct / pusher fan setup.....
    So do you have any active airflow through the intercooler? No wonder it heatsoaks.

Nothing beats homemade.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    So do you have any active airflow through the intercooler? No wonder it heatsoaks.
    The data suggests there is airflow through the IC but not enough (MATs that rise then fall). Active cooling was always in the plan but MATs aren't super duper high, so it's been pushed back.
    MATs approach +40F over ambient.
    Patrick's car with a plastic airbox is much better in this regard. The spread is probably 10-20F less under similar load. My piping is insulated from turbo to intercooler, but I have lot more air-path metal near coolant-path metal than stock. The IC to kjet housing adapter is also metal. Plus, you know, turbo (with a blanket on the hot side)

MAT is correlated with CLT more than load.
    EGO is not MAT correlated suggesting air density measurement is accurate.

I want to get as many passive strategies going as I can before bringing in the IC fan. I have some experiments that I plan to run with both cars on a driving tour we're having next month.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast