FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head gasket leaking coolant

Head gasket leaking coolant

I am doing my exhaust manifolds. The right side is perfect but the left head is all corroded and rusty. It has been apart for a week and today I noticed a drop of coolant leaking from the head gasket. Maybe it has been leaking for awhile and that’s why that side is all gummed up. Here is a pic below. Can I get the heads milled with leaving the valves in placed or do they need to be removed first? I was also wondering if I should take everything apart and get the block decked. Or am I making a big deal out of nothing and just replace the head gasket? Any thoughts?
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Milling Heads- The head shop CAN mill the heads with the valves installed, but many require them to be torn down and cleaned first...
    Cutting the heads will change the timing chain geometry... If you are lucky, there are gaskets available to compensate for a very small amount only.

Block Decking- The cylinders are not cast as part of the block. They are removable sleeves with a gasket below each one...

Head Gaskets- Probably not a DIY job on this type engine.

I’m not sure when I heated up the stud to remove it I cracked something and that’s why it’s leaking now. But on the other hand the corrosion looks likes it might have been leaking for awhile. I just hope I didnt damage the lower engine block. If I brought car out to Rob Grady what would be a educated guess price wise to have heads resurfaced and head gaskets done?

Call or PM Rob, he has an excellent rep....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The heads can be ground but only a tiny bit and only if they got warped because you overheated the motor. Once you pull the heads you really should remove the valves to clean everything up and install new valve seals. Unless you really smoked the motor the heads are probably OK and you just need a new head gasket, valve seals and a general clean-up.
    David Teitelbaum

I have all the studs fixed with time-serts. When I install the manifold studs should I use anti-seize or loctite or nothing. Also should I use RTV sealant on the manifold gaskets? If so both sides?
    Thanks

I'd use anti-seize. (Loctite might cause the time-sert to come out later...)

Don't put anything on exhaust gaskets. (Way too hot for any RTV.)

Sounds good thanks Ron

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Lock-Tite is no good around that much heat. Use nothing on the inserts and Never Seize on the studs and nuts. No sealant required for the exhaust manifold gaskets. Just make sure the surfaces are flat.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2706

Before you do anything crazy pull the valve cover , torque the head bolts in proper sequence and torque value. Wipe leaks let it sit overnight .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast