FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Dealership Sign

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    This isn't the one that just sold on eBay. The one that sold on eBay didn't really appear to show any dents in the stainless. Not sure if there were any, but hard to tell in the picture.

-Nick
    Ah! Thanks Nick. Good catch. I should have read that post properly.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

^ That's also not a full dealership sign. Looks like just one of the exterior faces off of one.

A full dealer sign is double sided, and has a pretty extensive fluorescent lighting array inside of it. I spent a couple weeks helping Cliff Schmucker install his. Here's a picture of it (and my car) finally installed in Cliff's shop. The thing had to weigh between 800-1000lbs. We had to position it using a forklift.

car and sign.jpg

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    ^ That's also not a full dealership sign. Looks like just one of the exterior faces off of one.

A full dealer sign is double sided, and has a pretty extensive fluorescent lighting array inside of it. I spent a couple weeks helping Cliff Schmucker install his. Here's a picture of it (and my car) finally installed in Cliff's shop. The thing had to weigh between 800-1000lbs. We had to position it using a forklift.

car and sign.jpg
    Check out the original sign brochure which the dealers ordered their signs from. Multiple styles were offered, including 1 & 2 sided versions, flush wall mounted, ceiling hung, and traditional free standing versions:

http://www.entermyworld.com/history/delorean-brochures
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    01643

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Check out the original sign brochure which the dealers ordered their signs from. Multiple styles were offered, including 1 & 2 sided versions, flush wall mounted, ceiling hung, and traditional free standing versions:

http://www.entermyworld.com/history/delorean-brochures
    This is a fair point, but they are still all the same thickness as they all presumably have the same lighting array inside. The differences are how they mount and whether they are one sided or two sided. I'll admit I didn't realize they made single sided versions, but it certainly makes sense. The one shown in the picture previously though was was clearly just the front face of one, not the full sign itself.

Dealership Sign.jpg

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    Ah! Thanks Nick. Good catch. I should have read that post properly.
    No worries.

-Nick

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

car and sign.jpg
    Sorry, I need to call BS on the sign weight. Having owned several of these signs (moving several more),
    unless Cliff's sign was filled with extra steel, lead or some other weights, the actual dealer sign weight is
    about half or less. While the outer steel and the ballast make up the majority of the weight, the internal
    structure holding the lighting array is mostly aluminum L-channel. Total weight is closer to 300-400 lbs.

I had one of my signs on display in the lobby of the Mega Center at DCS 2018, and I moved it on and off
    moving dollies by myself. I doubt I could lift one side and move it easily myself if it was 800-1000 lbs.

I have also moved (and hung) the more rare single sided sign from a sign company in Milwaukee, to the
    garage of Tony Swann (near Chicago) and although the weight was nearly the same as the double-sided
    sign, Tony and I were able to easily load it and unload it into a E-250 Cargo van, then lift it up onto a set
    of heavy duty brackets on his garage wall, with a 3rd person installing mounting bolts on the brackets.

Note: Dave Swingle had one of my signs hanging in his garage in the early 2000's, and it was
    moved to DMC Midwest for a number of years (after 2006). Dave can confirm the weight too.
    I believe a 400 lb rated block and tackle were used to lift and lower the sign in Dave's garage.
    Last edited by Rich W; 09-10-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added Dave Swingle info

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Holy cat whiskers on rye bread, if I were in this for the money, I would have been buying up dealer signs and throwing rocks at the stupid cars.
    Curious what the bid was or what it sold for?
    Kirk

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/at...101179767.html

If someone is still interested, there's one for sale here. Only a cool 10k.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a dealership sign

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sunnyside View Post
    I would love to own a Dealership sign. If anyone is selling one or knows someone who has one to sell please let me know.

I live in New York and could travel to pick up or ship if it makes sense

Thanks in advance,
    Ray
    Attachment 60979
    I have a dealership sign that is one sided not two sides let me know if you have any interest. I can send pictures etc it is in very good condition.

Lori G

Quote Originally Posted by Lgsct View Post
    I have a dealership sign that is one sided not two sides let me know if you have any interest. I can send pictures etc it is in very good condition.

Lori G
    I'm interested.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast