FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whine / Screech

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Whine / Screech

Over the weekend, I drove my Delorean, and I noticed my air isn't blowing cold and I have a screech/whine coming from the area near the AC. Does anyone know what it might be?
    any help would be awesome. I attached a video so yall can hear the noise.

Thank You in Advance

https://youtu.be/LDfsqusHbD8

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Does the screech happen at higher engine speed? And it comes and goes with A/C turned on/off?

Thanks for the video. The engine noise doesn't seem very screechy to me. Maybe a slight bit of noise that could be from an iffy water pump or from one of the A/C idler pulley bearings which are known wear items. Pull off the A/C belt - see if noise disappears. If it does then it's probably a bad pulley bearing.

As for not blowing cold neither of those issues explains it.

Causes of blows-hot problems with A/C clutch engaged include low refrigerant and (with car stationary) radiator fans not working. Neither of those issues is noisy.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Rich
    Thank You, I will try pulling the belt off and see if the squeak is still there. Maybe I also have a leak or something.
    Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Does the screech happen at higher engine speed? And it comes and goes with A/C turned on/off?

Thanks for the video. The engine noise doesn't seem very screechy to me. Maybe a slight bit of noise that could be from an iffy water pump or from one of the A/C idler pulley bearings which are known wear items. Pull off the A/C belt - see if noise disappears. If it does then it's probably a bad pulley bearing.

As for not blowing cold neither of those issues explains it.

Causes of blows-hot problems with A/C clutch engaged include low refrigerant and (with car stationary) radiator fans not working. Neither of those issues is noisy.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sounds pretty normal to me. The hot air could be low on refrigerant. Looks like a new compressor and hoses so someone worked on the A/C recently.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Sounds like a dry idler bearing to me too. When you pull the belt, spin them by hand...

I didn't see the compressor kick off...could be low freon for the poor cooling part.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Carefully put a long screw driver on your ear (or use a mechanic's stethoscope) and place the other end on the idler pulley bolts and the ac compressor case to compare and track down the source.

My VIN:    5814

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DOA) (DCUK)

Similar problem

My A/C belt broke. This is what the compressor sounds like with a new belt. The compressor was replaced three years ago. Is it going bad again?

https://youtu.be/cxp4wd34AFA

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin5814 View Post
    My A/C belt broke. This is what the compressor sounds like with a new belt. The compressor was replaced three years ago. Is it going bad again?

https://youtu.be/cxp4wd34AFA

That sounds pretty bad. I would guess you need a new compressor. What oil and refrigerant are you using.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5814

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That sounds pretty bad. I would guess you need a new compressor. What oil and refrigerant are you using.
    Sorry this A/C stuff is over my head. I can't answer your oil question. I did add some R-134a refrigerant in the summer of 2018 because it was cycling on and off. The air was cool but not as cold as before.

The compressor wouldn't cycle at all a month ago when I turned on the A/C control to MAX or Normal. I was going to get it repaired but then the A/C started working again the very next day. This could have been a sign that something was about to break.

I saw smoke from the engine compartment in the rearview mirror when I was out driving on Labor Day and pulled over to check it out. It was the A/C belt that melted off the pulleys. The two idler pulleys appears to be working fine with the new belt as you can see and hear from the video with the A/C turned off.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'd guess the compressor locked up and caused the belt to burn up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast