Club(s):   (DMA)

Nice, thanks for posting.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Looking forward to watching this. I guess any lost footage will have the right environment to flourish with the two movies out this year.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

That was a very interesting interview. I felt Dick was being a bit of a dick and to JZD's credit, he was humble, magnanimous and he batted those questions right back to him with very good answers.

Not going to say that I think JZD was a saint and even he would be quick to say the same, but I think as far as the last few months of DMC that he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt and even his detractors would admit that the way the government pursued him was suspicious (both in inception and execution) to say the least.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Who?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I felt Dick was being a bit of a dick.
    Totally.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    5312

No man in a position he held was ever really a saint. After all the harassment he went through especially. In the end, he tried to do what not many had done and failed due to a mixture of many reasons. But without out there where would be we be without these great cars today
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    No man in a position he held was ever really a saint. After all the harassment he went through especially. In the end, he tried to do what not many had done and failed due to a mixture of many reasons. But without out there where would be we be without these great cars today
    Did he fail? Designed and built a car and factory ready in 28 months? The good is they tooled up for a lot more cars to be produced offering enthusiasts today a plethora of parts to keep these cars on the road.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Did he fail? Designed and built a car and factory ready in 28 months?
    That’s not a good thing. The car was rushed into production before it was ready which had all sorts of consequences. A little more than two years later the entire plant was being auctioned off piece by piece. That doesn’t exactly scream SUCCESS.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

It seems like people use the phrase "he wasn't a saint" quite a bit to qualify their opinion about JZD. I really think it's pointless to do that. JZD started a company that manufactured and sold cars to turn a profit, no different than any other. I feel when the company hit hard times and was placed in receivership JZD really began to push the helping Northern Ireland angle into the forefront like the company was designed first to do that and to make money second which is absurd. The best thing DMC could have done for Northern Ireland was to be a success. Perhaps JZD inadvertently brought the saintly comparisons onto himself.

Setting aside the bar for sainthood I feel DeLorean was really about par for an entrepreneur/businessman, so many grandly wonderful ideas, a flair for promotion, immaculate attention to detail and styling, but some what of a short attention span, and a propensity to spread his energies a bit too far. Where I feel JZD really belongs is in the category of visionary artists a lá Ettore Bugatti. Bugatti never made a cent building his own cars but he left such powerful legacy and probably helped launched some many other people's dreams.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast