FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QUICK front suspension removal question with Eibach setup!

QUICK front suspension removal question with Eibach setup!

I have Eibach upgraded suspension and wonder if when I pop the upper ball joint off, if the lower control arm swings down far enough that I don't have to use a spring compressor of any sort in order to get to the upper control arm bushings???

I've done this in a '69 camaro but havent attempted it on this car yet but can't imagine it is much different. btw i usually run a chain through the spring and hold it to the car just in case?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This is not a 69 Camaro. Typically the Lower Ball joint is popped. The knuckle and upper CA are just tied up or strapped up out of the way. The popular method is to use the spring compressor that goes up through the center of the spring with the shock removed. Compress the spring to the LCA. then unbolt the LCA from the frame. The shorter Eibach springs will be easier to deal with for installation than the removal of the stock height Springs.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
    I have Eibach upgraded suspension and wonder if when I pop the upper ball joint off, if the lower control arm swings down far enough that I don't have to use a spring compressor of any sort in order to get to the upper control arm bushings???

I've done this in a '69 camaro but havent attempted it on this car yet but can't imagine it is much different. btw i usually run a chain through the spring and hold it to the car just in case?
    The UPPER control arms don't need the springs to be removed in order to remove the arm.

You can A- lift the car up and remove the upper arm or B- rest the weight of the car on a jack or block etc. under the lower control arm and remove the upper arm without anything moving. If you choose A - I don't know the full travel of aftermarket shocks but some allow too much travel which results in the lower control arm hitting the frame which could cause damage to both.

If in your post you meant to put lower control arm bushings then follow Dennis's advice above.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-03-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    The UPPER control arms don't need the springs to be removed in order to remove the arm.

You can A- lift the car up and remove the upper arm or B- rest the weight of the car on a jack or block etc. under the lower control arm and remove the upper arm without anything moving.
    I think I miss read the post. I thought he was swapping springs. I missed the UCA bushing Removal part.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I am replacing the UPPER front bushings (for clarity). In order to press them out I assume i will have to completely remove the upper control arm. right?

1) I could leave leave the shock/spring attached and swing everything around and use a rental bushing removal kit right on the car and NOT have to pop off the upper ball joint ?
    2) I could pop off the upper ball joint and just have the weight of the car still under the lower control arm to prevent the spring from shooting out and killing everyone.

both of these options should work, correct?
    Last edited by ttwo; 09-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.

2015-10-28 07.32.20.jpg

I see a photo where one guy did detach everything but was going to use a spring compressor to remove the ball joint.
    If i can get the bearings removed on the car then I can avoid potentially messing up the upper ball joint???

I can't remember if I've replaced the upper bushings or not on mine, instead it is always the lower ones that have gone bad. You could take it apart an try it with a bushing tool but personally I'd rather have it out of the car to work on it especially since it is easy to separate the upper ball joint. Not only that, you may want to replace the upper ball joint while you're in there - if your upper bushings got trashed, the ball joint may not be any good either.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    -----Dan B.

I hear you! I agree. I could just support the lower control arm with the jack with the weight of the car preventing the spring from shooting out and just take the whole upper control arm off and do it the right way. Maybe I'll just order some upper ball joints as well.

All this for squeaky old bushings!

You don’t need to worry about the spring, the shock is there holding everything together.
    -----Dan B.

You won’t be able to remove the bushings from the Arm in the car. The arms a thin sheet metal that aren’t boxed out. You need to make spacer fillers to keep the U channel from collapsing.

If Your issue is squeaky bushings. It’s not the UCA bushings. It’s the ARB bushings that are the usual source of squeaking. I would recommend the poly bushing kit from DPNW, but other Vendors offer there own version of this upgrade kit too. Of course you can always go with NOS too.
    DENNIS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast