FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Big mistake: removed retaining ring on side mirror pivot

Big mistake: removed retaining ring on side mirror pivot

Anyone ever had to put the Retaining ring back on while smashing down the convex washers that are inside of the side mirror at the swivel point?
    if so how did you do it?

Attached is the photo of it before I took the little black retaining ring off. I found out that the convex washers are convex so you have to smash them together and that’s what puts the stiffness in the mirror pivot. Problem is is I can’t smash the washers down enough to get the retaining ring back into its slot

7C98CE4D-E255-458C-AAD3-CFCF0C714C60.jpg
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Rob Grady has a method for doing it but it’s a bit of PITA, I guess.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Rob Grady has a method for doing it but it’s a bit of PITA, I guess.
    Thanks

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Wrap the spring coil with strong zip ties to compress the spring. Put retaining washer in place, and cut zip ties.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    2245

I had to straighten some of the washers, it's not as tight as before but it's not bad. Only way I could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    I had to straighten some of the washers, it's not as tight as before but it's not bad. Only way I could do it.
    Thanks guys. I ended up getting a new snap ring because I found out that my method of using a clamp with a socket from a socket wrench set to push down the washers and the snap ring was indeed working but my snap ring was stretched out so we just come back up to easily. The new snap ring and same method worked like a charm

My VIN:    1890

Is that snap ring a generic part? For some reason I thought it was not obtainable.

TIA
    Robert
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

The snap ring broke in mine. I had to replace it. Something is still not quite right as the mirror (not the housing) moves a lot while driving. May I'm missing a washer.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    Is that snap ring a generic part? For some reason I thought it was not obtainable.

TIA
    Robert
    Here’s what mine looks like. I replaced the washer and the snap ring that hold down the convex washers underneath.

How I got mine back on without removing any washers is I had the mirror out of it and a clamp on top that pushed this little bracket that I curled up into a circle. The bracket pushed down on a temporary washer which pushed down on The retainer ring in the rest of it until the retainer ring went into the slot. Worked great after I replace the retaining ring. 4354AD83-E3AC-4F3F-9AC4-13E69EAEFFCD.jpg0F7E93E7-9659-4FFF-AA47-6912C24C707F.jpg