FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BLACK part of bumpers/ fascia -question???

i think I will get it pained as I don't foresee any risk of bumping etc as it won't be a daily driver.

My VIN:    1710

As someone who has owned a DeLorean that came with all its black trim pieces (professionally) painted, I really have to caution against going that route. If you or a previous owner has ever used greasy products such as Armor All you'll end up fighting bubbling, peeling paint. Exhaust all other avenues before painting... you'll be thankful later.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    03572

When I put my stainless letters on my bumper I cleaned that area with MEK which is the strongest solvent I know. I just used it on Q-tips and it did no damage so I would expect if you wipe down the bumper with a solvent it should remove any oils or paint.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    As someone who has owned a DeLorean that came with all its black trim pieces (professionally) painted, I really have to caution against going that route. If you or a previous owner has ever used greasy products such as Armor All you'll end up fighting bubbling, peeling paint. Exhaust all other avenues before painting... you'll be thankful later.
    This is always a concern when painting plastic. Most soft plastic, TPO, polypropylene, or whatever is somewhat porous but a good deep cleaning will remove most all dressings. The problem comes from newer bare plastic that you wish to paint as the chemicals used in the plastic itself will seep out over time (years even) but on 30+ year old bumpers, this should not be a problem.
    It is however very important to use the correct type of primer and/or Bulldog it before any coatings are applied to bare plastic.

I have been doing this type of work every day since 2004. I consider myself a professional.

good to know! I'll make sure to really have them clean it prior. I'd think he's stand behind it if it doesn't stick well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When I put my stainless letters on my bumper I cleaned that area with MEK which is the strongest solvent I know. I just used it on Q-tips and it did no damage so I would expect if you wipe down the bumper with a solvent it should remove any oils or paint.
    Warning-thread revive.

I just got some SS letters from DGo. I was looking at the bumper and I see some peeling paint. Now I would like to refinish or repaint the bumper before installing the letters. Are you saying the MEK removes everything and doesn't hurt the base material?

Some have mentioned not painting. Is there a way to refinish the base that doesn't make it look gray? (Sanding/buffing)

What is the consensus for the best glue to hold the letters?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Warning-thread revive.

I just got some SS letters from DGo. I was looking at the bumper and I see some peeling paint. Now I would like to refinish or repaint the bumper before installing the letters. Are you saying the MEK removes everything and doesn't hurt the base material?

Some have mentioned not painting. Is there a way to refinish the base that doesn't make it look gray? (Sanding/buffing)

With some time and patience the black part of the fascias can be sanded and buffed back to the original color and finish, or at the very least, greatly improve the appearance of very aged fascias.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Warning-thread revive.

The MEK worked removing the paint and did not seem to do any harm. That was many years ago and it still looks the same.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    With some time and patience the black part of the fascias can be sanded and buffed back to the original color and finish, or at the very least, greatly improve the appearance of very aged fascias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The MEK worked removing the paint and did not seem to do any harm. That was many years ago and it still looks the same.
    I think I'm going to try to remove/revive the original finish. If it looks like shyte, I will paint it again. Funny, the front bumper looks great. You would have thought it would get the most ware.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I used Black Again and got good results. Before trying to stick the S/S letters on you must get the surface VERY clean. One good way to do that is to wipe the surface several times with alcohol. There is some kind of release coating that, if not removed, the letters will fall off.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast