FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: BLACK part of bumpers/ fascia -question???

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2019

    Posts:    53

    i think I will get it pained as I don't foresee any risk of bumping etc as it won't be a daily driver.

  2. #12
    Sometimes Owner louielouie2000's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Austin, TX

    Posts:    661

    My VIN:    Previously 10115 & 5252

    As someone who has owned a DeLorean that came with all its black trim pieces (professionally) painted, I really have to caution against going that route. If you or a previous owner has ever used greasy products such as Armor All you'll end up fighting bubbling, peeling paint. Exhaust all other avenues before painting... you'll be thankful later.
    Louie Golden

  3. #13
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    8,318

    My VIN:    03572

    When I put my stainless letters on my bumper I cleaned that area with MEK which is the strongest solvent I know. I just used it on Q-tips and it did no damage so I would expect if you wipe down the bumper with a solvent it should remove any oils or paint.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  4. #14
    Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    4,499

    My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

    Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    As someone who has owned a DeLorean that came with all its black trim pieces (professionally) painted, I really have to caution against going that route. If you or a previous owner has ever used greasy products such as Armor All you'll end up fighting bubbling, peeling paint. Exhaust all other avenues before painting... you'll be thankful later.
    This is always a concern when painting plastic. Most soft plastic, TPO, polypropylene, or whatever is somewhat porous but a good deep cleaning will remove most all dressings. The problem comes from newer bare plastic that you wish to paint as the chemicals used in the plastic itself will seep out over time (years even) but on 30+ year old bumpers, this should not be a problem.
    It is however very important to use the correct type of primer and/or Bulldog it before any coatings are applied to bare plastic.

    I have been doing this type of work every day since 2004. I consider myself a professional.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2019

    Posts:    53

    good to know! I'll make sure to really have them clean it prior. I'd think he's stand behind it if it doesn't stick well!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    707

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When I put my stainless letters on my bumper I cleaned that area with MEK which is the strongest solvent I know. I just used it on Q-tips and it did no damage so I would expect if you wipe down the bumper with a solvent it should remove any oils or paint.
    Warning-thread revive.

    I just got some SS letters from DGo. I was looking at the bumper and I see some peeling paint. Now I would like to refinish or repaint the bumper before installing the letters. Are you saying the MEK removes everything and doesn't hurt the base material?

    Some have mentioned not painting. Is there a way to refinish the base that doesn't make it look gray? (Sanding/buffing)

    What is the consensus for the best glue to hold the letters?

  7. #17
    Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    4,499

    My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Warning-thread revive.

    I just got some SS letters from DGo. I was looking at the bumper and I see some peeling paint. Now I would like to refinish or repaint the bumper before installing the letters. Are you saying the MEK removes everything and doesn't hurt the base material?

    Some have mentioned not painting. Is there a way to refinish the base that doesn't make it look gray? (Sanding/buffing)

    What is the consensus for the best glue to hold the letters?
    With some time and patience the black part of the fascias can be sanded and buffed back to the original color and finish, or at the very least, greatly improve the appearance of very aged fascias.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    8,318

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Warning-thread revive.

    I just got some SS letters from DGo. I was looking at the bumper and I see some peeling paint. Now I would like to refinish or repaint the bumper before installing the letters. Are you saying the MEK removes everything and doesn't hurt the base material?

    Some have mentioned not painting. Is there a way to refinish the base that doesn't make it look gray? (Sanding/buffing)

    What is the consensus for the best glue to hold the letters?
    The MEK worked removing the paint and did not seem to do any harm. That was many years ago and it still looks the same.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    707

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    With some time and patience the black part of the fascias can be sanded and buffed back to the original color and finish, or at the very least, greatly improve the appearance of very aged fascias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The MEK worked removing the paint and did not seem to do any harm. That was many years ago and it still looks the same.
    I think I'm going to try to remove/revive the original finish. If it looks like shyte, I will paint it again. Funny, the front bumper looks great. You would have thought it would get the most ware.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,100

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    I used Black Again and got good results. Before trying to stick the S/S letters on you must get the surface VERY clean. One good way to do that is to wipe the surface several times with alcohol. There is some kind of release coating that, if not removed, the letters will fall off.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •