FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Living the Dream - VIN 0628

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    I hadn't heard that regarding the sealant on the evap box. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Are you losing air into your door itself or do you just not have any air coming through that duct behind the passenger knee pad?
    There isn't any coming from that side of the box at all. I thought it was a leaky duct or blocked but even at the opening there is none. I'm going to see if there is a flap or vacuum element stuck before I go any further. It's a small problem but I want to fix it.

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There isn't any coming from that side of the box at all. I thought it was a leaky duct or blocked but even at the opening there is none. I'm going to see if there is a flap or vacuum element stuck before I go any further. It's a small problem but I want to fix it.
    Oh.. shit! That does sound like a flap or possibly a vacuum line has come unplugged from somewhere
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

DMCToday Tech Session

DMCToday Tech Session
    Date: 09/04/20 - 09/06/20
    Mileage: 39,641 - 40,158

The 'Thug Board' hosted a Tech Session for the weekend of September 5th, 2020 and extended the invite to all DeLorean Owners. The tech session was hosted my Michael and his wife in the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee, about 3.5 hours away from us. Preparation over the last couple of months (July - August) led to this trip. I hadn't prepared things to take care of on the car however I did have a few things that I wanted to do.
    • Locate tiny Transmission Fluid Leak (On Lift)
    • Assess CV Boots (on Lift)
    • Inspection of Frame and Suspension from the Deer Incident (on Lift)
    • Install Replacement 12v Outlet

Day 1: Drive and Cruise-In
    The overall journey out to this corner of Tennessee was not bad at all. A couple of developments (noted in bottom of this post) were noticed and later identified. Upon getting into the area, the Tech Session text chain started to blow up and come to find out two other DeLorean Owners were staying at the same hotel that I had booked at. Seeing other DeLoreans always excites me.

2020-09-04 11.16.29.jpg2020-09-04 12.16.28.jpg2020-09-04 16.25.42.jpg

Once settled in, everyone made plans to meet for dinner at a place called Freddy's (Burgers & Frozen Custard) which also has a classic car cruise-in every Friday. Perfect. What DeLorean owner doesn't like crashing car shows and cruise-ins? Meeting everyone throughout the evening was a blast. With the exception of two others, everyone had arrived that evening and we all ended up hanging out at Michael's by his pool that evening.

2020-09-04 18.39.31.jpg2020-09-04 19.04.33.jpg2020-09-04 23.28.16.jpg2020-09-05 00.01.38.jpg

Day 2: Tech Session
    Tech Session Day! Upon eating a fantastic breakfast as prepared by Michael and Debbie, things became underway rather quickly. #628 was first up on the lift which we quickly discovered that every single CV Boot was torn and 3 out of 4 had grease. With the help of Michael who took the lead, we cleaned up the axles and the torn boots and repacked them with grease. In order to ensure it would make the nearly 4 hour drive home on Sunday, a little bit of Tennessee ingenuity was applied. Case in Point: You CAN repair CV Boots on a DeLorean with Duct Tape. The plan is to pull the drive shafts off and replace the CV Boots in the winter. In all honesty, at the time of this writing the duct tape is still on 3 of the 4 boots and holding up rather fine.

Further inspection of the car revealed the source of my small transmission fluid leak at the drain plug. The rest of the car looked great IMO. We pulled the car off the lift and let others have their turn. Throughout the day, I f***ed around, piddled, mingled, and worked on my other little to do project for the day. A new 12v outlet!

2020-09-06 22.28.46.jpg2020-09-07 13.44.58.jpgFB_IMG_1599449334131.jpgFB_IMG_1599449330170.jpgFB_IMG_1599433353196.jpgFB_IMG_1599449348716.jpg2020-09-07 13.44.52.jpg

My old 12v outlet decided that it wanted to start shooting sparks whenever I moved anything that was plugged into it, so it absolutely had to go. Instead of a normal, 12v replacement outlet, I opted for a more modernized, but minimal approach. I chose a Dual USB 3.0 12v Socket that had a voltmeter built in so that I can accurately keep track of the voltage that the Alternator is putting out.

Part: YONHAN Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket
    Price: $14.99

Once I pulled the old socket out, I found the diameter of the hole where the 12v receptacle fits into to be too small. Using a file, I carefully filed away at the metal plate under the vinyl of the center console pad and slowly enlarged it. Once I was able to fit it down into the spot, I cut the wire for the old 12v socket illumination bulb and taped it up, pushing it off to the side. This left the only other to wires, positive and negative. This socket was truly plug and play. With the help of Josh (Nightflyer Josh),he was able to plug it up from underneath the panel and we got it secured. This little guy is one of my favorite mods as it does not take away from the interior and is also highly functional.

2020-10-19 17.18.45.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

After a fantastic dinner, we had a photo-op session down the road before Dondeanna and Ryan left as well as a little bit of trigger time and pool time. Overall a fun fun fun day!
    A MASSIVE Thank You goes out to Michael and Debbie Maupin for hosting a fantastic get together!

2020-09-06 22.52.06.jpgFB_IMG_1599449352533.jpg2020-09-05 19.02.57.jpg2020-09-05 19.06.32.jpgFB_IMG_1599449362415.jpg118728868_302492311052026_831290216161438198_n.jpg

Day 3: Breakfast and Homeward Bound
    The 8 of us met for breakfast at Cracker Barrel the next morning. Cracker Barrel is this fat kid's go to establishment... with 8 DeLoreans it was a true show stopper for all of the guests waiting outside.

FB_IMG_1599449364507.jpg2020-09-06 11.49.33.jpg2020-09-06 11.49.53.jpg

Once breakfast was done, the group headed out for the Sunday drive down Hwy 421 (called "The Snake"). While they headed out, I said my good byes and steered her out west towards home. The main reason of going home so soon was that I wanted to make sure that I get home without issue so taking the car out on a high thrill romp through the mountains albeit was an exciting thought, I don't want to be left with a hell of a tow bill if something happened. This ultimately, proved to be a very good call.

On the way home, the ole' girl hit the 40,000 mile milestone! I also ended up getting spotted on I-40 and posted to Instagram (I did not know these people, just found the picture one day)

40k Miles.jpgInstagram 090620.jpg

About 34 miles from home, I decided to stop off at a buddy's place to catch up since we hadn't seen each other in about a year. Upon getting onto his road, I noticed that there was a lack of power at around 40mph and I was merely just revving the motor while coasting. Uh oh. I got to his gate, opened it, pulled the car through, closed the gate, and drove up to his house without further issue. While alarmed, I let the car cool for about an hour and a half while we caught up and drank some beers. Afterwards, I was able to get home with no issue until the last half mile of the drive. It happened again while cruising around 40-45mph... no acceleration and the car was revving. At first I was thinking the A/T Computer. Alas, I got the car home.

Developments
    • Car Running Very Warm on Interstate with AC on: Upon driving through Knoxville, TN, I noticed that the car was a bit under 220 and too hot for my comfort level. I discovered that the rise in engine temperature was directly caused by running the AC. Ryan Foster suggested that the AC might be overcharged and is causing the engine to work harder in turning the pulley. Makes sense. Another thing to add to the list
    • Automatic Transmission Issues: Discussing with various people including Rafael, it has been discovered that I will need to have this transmission rebuilt as there is a loss in pressure with the C2 Clutch Drum. This directly causes the loss of 3rd Gear (3rd slipping). Another thing to add to the list however prioritized.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

New Illuminated Window Switches
    Date: 10/19/20
    Mileage: 40,176

For our Anniversary, my wife picked up a set of Illuminated Window Switches from DMCH. I contacted Dave McKeen and had him install his Blue LED board into the switches. On October 19th when it was time to install them, I noticed a sheer amount of corrosion on all of the pins of the connectors. Using my solutions that I still had sealed up, I unraveled the window switches from the harness and gave them a thorough cleaning.

Cleaning Solution: Vinegar & Salt within a Mason Jar. This solution will eat away at corrosion very quickly.
    Rinse Solution: Distilled Water & Baking Soda in a Mason Jar. This is used as a rinse and neutralizes oxidation from the cleaning solution.

While I was there, I also disabled the Rear Window Defroster switch and tucked away this connector. The Defroster switch and the two dummys will be replaced with an on/off switch from DeLoreanGo in the future. During this, I also rerouted the window switches to the outside of the set which makes most sense in my opinion and somewhat looks a bit better.

2020-10-19 15.59.35.jpg2020-10-19 15.59.13.jpg2020-10-19 17.18.45.jpg
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Year End 2020 To Do List

Year End 2020: To Do List
    Date: 12/28/2020

As 2020 wraps up, my laundry list of things to take care of on the car keep piling up. Unfortunately, any progress of anything since the end of September has halted with the exception of the Window Switches due to issues with my back. As previously mentioned in post #48, I developed issues with a herniated disc between my L4 & L5 which wrecked havoc on my mobility and sanity as it progressively got worse throughout October and November. I had spinal surgery on December 1st and while I have been recovering very well, there are many items that have been lingering and will soon be addressed starting in January (I hope)

Priority Items
    • Drop A/T and send to be rebuilt
    • Pull Drive Axles during A/T Removal - Inspect, Repack, Install New Boots

To Do List (Parts On Hand)
    • Install DPI Catback SPEC Exhaust
    • Install DMCH Louvre Reinforcement Bracket and Delete Spring Loaded Engine Cover Stay
    • Install DGo Strut Brace
    • Install DGo Front LCA Braces
    • Install IDORB Black Out Headlight Covers
    • Install Hervey Black Side Stripe
    • Rewire Touchscreen Rearview Mirror & Document
    • Install Dave McKeen's Side Marker/Blinker Harness
    • Pull old Insulation out of Parcel Area and replace Padding/Dynamat

To Do List (Future)
    • Install A/T Cooler Heat Exchanger
    • Recover Seats (Two-Tone)
    • Purge AC and Recharge to Spec
    • Pull Headliner over Parcel Shelf and Reattch (one side drooping)
    • Install new upper guide for Passenger Window
    • Replace OEM Door Lock Module
    • Replace Inner/Outer Cargo Net Brackets and pop rivets
    • Find out why Windshield Wiper Spray Motor is no longer working
    • Find out where Windshield Wiper Fluid Reservoir is leaking from and Patch It
    Last edited by JBaker4981; 12-28-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

My VIN:    Former owner of 10439 Currently own 06291

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Jesse,

Love the detailed view of your ownership. I used to live on Long Island and know Tom N. He is a good guy. I love your early vin auto D.

Adam
    Adam Brandt
    Former owner of 10439 Stage II
    Owner of 06291 DMCH rebuild, Stage II, Eibach, SS Frame

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrrrush View Post
    Jesse,

Love the detailed view of your ownership. I used to live on Long Island and know Tom N. He is a good guy. I love your early vin auto D.

Adam
    Totally just now seeing this. Thanks man! Tom was great to work with and him and Donna are the best
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Big News for Us and #628

We bought our 1st House!
    Date: 02/11/21

As of February 11th, 2021, the wife and I have closed on our first house!

We are super incredibly excited about this. The first order of business was to put the DeLorean in her new bedroom.

PXL_20210212_231820813.jpgPXL_20210212_165033062.jpg

PXL_20210213_001455413.jpgPXL_20210212_230834439.jpgPXL_20210213_020131898.jpgPXL_20210213_020140429.jpgPXL_20210213_020216402.jpgPXL_20210213_020246513.jpg

One of our TNDMC members also wanted a video of it being driven in for the first time:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TV96mBJKRFABMFDj8
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Congrats! Clean garage - get the "DMC" grey floor like me!
    After.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Congrats! Clean garage - get the "DMC" grey floor like me!
    After.jpg
    Thank you! We are beyond excited. Now if the weather would cooperate for us to take stuff over there that would be great.

I remember you posting that picture either on here or one of the FB Groups... That is a SEXY garage and I dig your work area. I will get there eventually
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast