FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoovies Garage. Why you shouldn't buy a cheap Delorean.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hoovies Garage. Why you shouldn't buy a cheap Delorean.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Tyler should have hosted a tech day. He could have had a lot of free help sorting out his car.

As the old saying goes… "There's nothing more expensive than buying a cheap DeLorean."

It's so great to see the smile on his face at the end as he begins to appreciate the emotional aspect of ownership. As someone who has gone above and beyond any sane levels of spending on their own car, I can relate hugely to the satisfaction it brings. At a certain point, it's not about the money. It's all about the sheer joy and pride it brings.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

He got off easy if you ask me.

I know quite a few owners that have way more into their cars than this.

He got his transmission from an owner doing a swap and got a great deal on it. DMC would of charged him $8,500 for that transmission after labor costs.

Guess he wasn't ready for the price shock.

My VIN:    1768

Agreed. When he goes to Mr Wizard my Jaw gets slack when I hear what he is charging to do some of these jobs, as a professional mechanic some of his prices are insanely low. Then again I'm in California he is in Kansas.

I know it's all for show but I still get a bit upset when he complains that he had to shell out all that money, so you paid $29k for sorted car that's worth $25-32k? Sorry what's the problem with that? He will make one or two more videos and sell it.

When he complained he has 29K in what appears to be a really nice well-sorted car, I thought I had been transported back to 2010. Then I think about how much money I have in my car, and I hate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    When he complained he has 29K in what appears to be a really nice well-sorted car, I thought I had been transported back to 2010. Then I think about how much money I have in my car, and I hate myself.
    I know, I'm right there with you, if only he knew where I am with mine Wheres the reset button on this damn thing...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

He calls that car "sorted out"? While it is running and driving I saw a lot of stuff that needs work. For instance the left rear wheel only has 2 lug nuts, the binnacle is warped inside, the seats are all cracked. He has proven again that it is always the best thing to buy a car in the best condition you can afford. I say he got away really cheap. If it wasn't for the deal on a good used transmission he would be in for a LOT more. While he may have saved a bunch of money on his Wizard's low rates, because his Wizard didn't know what he was doing it took a lot more time to get things right. In the end he did OK. With a little more spent on some cosmetic issues that car could be worth $35K. But like most of these shows it is not about the money or the car, it is all about the clicks and the advertising. It was entertaining and he seemed to be honest about hating the car but it grew on him and he ended up loving it. Kind of how many of us feel about it. He just does it with more drama. Some of us won't have any sympathy for him having spent a whole lot more and maybe winding up with less! One way or another it looks like to get a nice runner it is going to cost you $30K.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16355

Well said and very true. We are but custodians for the next owner.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    As the old saying goes… "There's nothing more expensive than buying a cheap DeLorean."

It's so great to see the smile on his face at the end as he begins to appreciate the emotional aspect of ownership. As someone who has gone above and beyond any sane levels of spending on their own car, I can relate hugely to the satisfaction it brings. At a certain point, it's not about the money. It's all about the sheer joy and pride it brings.

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    Well said and very true. We are but custodians for the next owner.

Not all of us, me personally, I'm getting buried with mine, thanks.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast