FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner Check this out

My VIN:    5051

New Owner Check this out

So I just bought 5051 built in OCT 81 it has been in a garage since 1998 it has 29k miles!
    Body and interior are perfect engine is not frozen and is very clean.
    Struts are still black and look like new.
    Tires looked fine and were not even flat! Just low on air.
    I will do one of two things!
    1) Replace all Master cylinders and clutch slave
    Rebuild all calipers
    Replace Fuel Pump accumulator and clean all injectors and Overhaul WUR!
    Replace cooling system.
    Repair AC as required.
    and put it out there for sale at the higher end of the scale.
    Or sell it without doing all that.
    I won't run the fuel pump with out going through the fuel system.
    But I have no doubt the car will run very well!
    What would you do?IMG_20190916_145849.jpgIMG_20190918_162146.jpgIMG_20190918_162210.jpgIMG_20190918_162135.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

So you are going to do one of two things; put time and money into it and sell it or do nothing to it and sell it cheaper.

Well the struts are black and new so there's that.

Yes the struts are black and original the point was the car looks very nice for being driven into a garage and parked in 1998. The fact that the paint under the car has not gone to trash is .... well good.
    Also just wondering what seasoned owners might do. So I thought a few details might be good.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

A seasoned owner tends to care about the car, not flipping it like any other.
    Perhaps you'll find people more eager to give you advice in a place that focuses on buying/selling cars, more than you would on an owners/enthusiasts forum that has a big focus on maintaining the car.

Work on it and sell it, or don't and sell it. Either way you've decided what you're going to do in the end.
    With the way you're talking about it, I don;t know if I'd call you an owner, as much as I would call you a temporary possessor until it goes to an owner.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    Midproduction

Rather than shot-gun blasting through all the things that might be wrong, I would recommend getting it inspected my a vendor or an experienced owner and prioritize safety and minimum running requirement items first. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Rather than shot-gun blasting through all the things that might be wrong, I would recommend getting it inspected my a vendor or an experienced owner and prioritize safety and minimum running requirement items first. Where are you located?
    Eastern Wa.
    I probably should note I've been a mechanic for around 31 years, I would love to keep this car, but I believe it would be in better hands with a collector. I would pretty much have to daily driver this and sell my Vette.
    I don't want it butched up in anyway as it is pretty exceptional as is.
    Just kind of wondering what would do the car more justice!
    I get the whole pride of ownership, and yes I am not going to own it for long, however I dam sure want to enjoy it for the time I do own it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    A seasoned owner tends to care about the car, not flipping it like any other.
    Perhaps you'll find people more eager to give you advice in a place that focuses on buying/selling cars, more than you would on an owners/enthusiasts forum that has a big focus on maintaining the car.

Work on it and sell it, or don't and sell it. Either way you've decided what you're going to do in the end.
    With the way you're talking about it, I don;t know if I'd call you an owner, as much as I would call you a temporary possessor until it goes to an owner.
    Well, just trying to do the car justice as I know I can not keep it. The fact that I am seeking some advice about how to handle this should make it obvious that I do care about the car.
    I just can't permanently own it at this time. So yes I believe it needs to be in someones collection. I can not afford to be a collector at this time.
    I do find it odd that you suggest a car flipping site for information or advice, I assumed that talking to people that love this Icon might be a better way to go.
    Just because I can't own it for long, does not mean I can't love it while I have it!
    I feel like I have been entrusted with it.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Giamanut View Post
    I won't run the fuel pump with out going through the fuel system.
    But I have no doubt the car will run very well!
    Tough to get a price at the higher end since it's technically a non-runner.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Honestly I think you should sell it now.

I understand you're a mechanic, but if you're trying to "do the car justice," you should leave the repairs and restoration to someone that has an interest in the car more than flipping it. Otherwise you risk doing more harm than good in an attempt to maximize profit.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast