FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owner Check this out

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Honestly I think you should sell it now.

I understand you're a mechanic, but if you're trying to "do the car justice," you should leave the repairs and restoration to someone that has an interest in the car more than flipping it. Otherwise you risk doing more harm than good in an attempt to maximize profit.
    Thank you, that is a valid honest opinion. A good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Tough to get a price at the higher end since it's technically a non-runner.
    Yes I would not expect a higher price unless the car was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. That should make something feel good.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Giamanut View Post
    So I just bought 5051 built in OCT 81 it has been in a garage since 1998 it has 29k miles!
    Body and interior are perfect engine is not frozen and is very clean.
    Struts are still black and look like new.
    Tires looked fine and were not even flat! Just low on air.
    I will do one of two things!
    1) Replace all Master cylinders and clutch slave
    Rebuild all calipers
    Replace Fuel Pump accumulator and clean all injectors and Overhaul WUR!
    Replace cooling system.
    Repair AC as required.
    and put it out there for sale at the higher end of the scale.
    Or sell it without doing all that.
    I won't run the fuel pump with out going through the fuel system.
    But I have no doubt the car will run very well!
    What would you do?Attachment 61288Attachment 61289Attachment 61290Attachment 61291
    What would I do? I would keep it and take my time restoring it right....It looks like you've got a nice example there. A lot of enthusiasts are trying to find one like that... even the Oct 81 production month is desirable. Then I would sell the Vette if I needed to. I've owned 2 Corvettes, and to me, Delorean ownership is much more satisfying. For example, just the other day, I was in traffic and a driver caught a glimpse of the DeLorean pulling up alongside, and he stuck his head out of his car window and while looking incredulous, mouthed "HOLY SH*T!!! "

You just don't get that kind of reaction from driving a Vette. On Autotrader today, there are 3,441 Corvettes for sale while there are 0 DeLoreans.

But, that's only my opinion. However, if you're not enthusiastic about the car, I agree with Nick, don't touch it and sell it as is. You'll only risk making things worse for the next owner.

Good luck to you.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I was in the exact same position as you a decade ago and, although I mostly agree with Dana, I have to say go for it!
    I don't see the concern about you making things worse for the next owner -- Being a seasoned mechanic, you know half of the game is knowing what NOT to do. Seems obvious that you are doing your homework and have already identified the #1 thing. Not to mention you are here... To figure out what TO do boils down to one thing, K-Jet and your willingness to learn it. If you clean it up thoroughly, we can walk you through the rest.
    Then comes the real decision(s) -- Will you become to love it, or hate it? If the former, how to keep it?

Short and sweet- Change out all of the fluids, disconnect the pump and get it running good enough to prove the engine and that the trans takes gear. I assume you know how to do that and will know how to proceed from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I was in the exact same position as you a decade ago and, although I mostly agree with Dana, I have to say go for it!
    I don't see the concern about you making things worse for the next owner -- Being a seasoned mechanic, you know half of the game is knowing what NOT to do. Seems obvious that you are doing your homework and have already identified the #1 thing. Not to mention you are here... To figure out what TO do boils down to one thing, K-Jet and your willingness to learn it. If you clean it up thoroughly, we can walk you through the rest.
    Then comes the real decision(s) -- Will you become to love it, or hate it? If the former, how to keep it?

Short and sweet- Change out all of the fluids, disconnect the pump and get it running good enough to prove the engine and that the trans takes gear. I assume you know how to do that and will know how to proceed from there...
    I do have a good Idea how to not make things worse, I won't even run the fuel pump until the system (Tank to Injectors) is clean and new filters installed. I have clean hundreds of CIS injectors so no problems there. and have overhauled plenty of calipers the rest is pretty basic except the K-JET, but that has been used on so many cars there is a lot of info. So yes I am not afraid and just because I may not get to keep it, it is still pretty dam cool just to work on it.
    No mods have been done to this car that i know of, still has the plastic coolant res. I really don't want to mod or change a thing.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I do have a good Idea how to not make things worse, I won't even run the fuel pump until the system (Tank to Injectors) is clean and new filters installed. I have clean hundreds of CIS injectors so no problems there. and have overhauled plenty of calipers the rest is pretty basic except the K-JET, but that has been used on so many cars there is a lot of info. So yes I am not afraid and just because I may not get to keep it, it is still pretty dam cool just to work on it.
    No mods have been done to this car that i know of, still has the plastic coolant res. I really don't want to mod or change a thing.
    Visit the sites Resource Section and download the searchable Workshop Manual if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Visit the sites resource section Resource Section and download the searchable Workshop Manual if you haven't already.
    Got one with the car! And a parts book! I have been reading for about a couple of weeks.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

That plastic coolant res is good for at least 226k miles. My car can vouch for that!
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast