FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printer

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    If anyone is willing to try printing. I've modeled a grill based on the original one. It's not exact but should be close.

I might try scanning the windshield washer bottle and reverse engineering that some day. Been scanning lots of work parts lately, but still working through full reverse engineering. The scanning software creates a mesh that can be closed and made watertight for direct 3D printing. Making a proper model from a scan is quite a bit more involved.
    I am interested in some scans of delorean parts:

5spd Bellhousing
    LCA
    steering Knuckle
    Washer bottle

I dont really have the equipment nor do I want to. let me know if you would be interested in doing these scans and how much it would cost.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I am interested in some scans of delorean parts:

5spd Bellhousing
    LCA
    steering Knuckle
    Washer bottle

I dont really have the equipment nor do I want to. let me know if you would be interested in doing these scans and how much it would cost.
    I can do everything but the bellhousing since I don't have one. I was already planning on scanning the rest. Because they're company resources, I can't actually charge for it.

Fiy, the scanners output is stl so that aspect is not very useful unless you're 3d printing. It's not a problem with plastic parts, but i will have to pretty much fully reverse engineer the LCA and steering knuckle in solidworks from the scan.

Edit: To clarify, I had already asked about drawing parts and having them made. Company policy dictates that all drawings made with company resources are company property. However, as long as its on my own time and doesn't cost the company any extra money, I can draw anything I want but can't make it into a business. Basically should be OK to upload an stl of the grill or washer bottle and have them free for personal use.
    Last edited by mr_maxime; 02-10-2020 at 06:44 PM.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Front Grill...
    grill.jpg
    I modelled this up yesterday evening and printed one off at 30% size last night. It looked good so I will be printing full size on Friday (just for fun)

I'm going to a DeLorean meet in about a months time and thought I might paint it up, put the logo on, fit it to my car and see if anyone notices/comments over the course of the weekend. It'll be parked next to numerous other DeLoreans so should be a good test.

I don't actually need one but I love doing big prints and finishing them to the point that no one can tell it's printed.

l printed a new glove box insert earlier in the week...

Glove Box.jpg

Sorry I don't have many friends who are into 3D printing so thought I'd share here...
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I can do everything but the bellhousing since I don't have one. I was already planning on scanning the rest. Because they're company resources, I can't actually charge for it.

Fiy, the scanners output is stl so that aspect is not very useful unless you're 3d printing. It's not a problem with plastic parts, but i will have to pretty much fully reverse engineer the LCA and steering knuckle in solidworks from the scan.

Edit: To clarify, I had already asked about drawing parts and having them made. Company policy dictates that all drawings made with company resources are company property. However, as long as its on my own time and doesn't cost the company any extra money, I can draw anything I want but can't make it into a business. Basically should be OK to upload an stl of the grill or washer bottle and have them free for personal use.
    I understand a scanned STL is not a solid part, even further from a prepared solid part. I work with CAD daily

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    6895

You need to bevel the ends of that grill. It isn't razor sharp like your model is showing and has a slight bevel on the edges.

To print something that large is very very expensive if done in something like resin.

Quote Originally Posted by megamanex View Post
    You need to bevel the ends of that grill. It isn't razor sharp like your model is showing and has a slight bevel on the edges.

To print something that large is very very expensive if done in something like resin.
    Yeah it's just the rendering makes it look sharper than it is (assuming it's my grill image your commenting on).

I've split it between two printers which I'm running quite large nozzels on so looks to be ~16-hours per half but as I have breif window where two were spare I thought I'd go for it and see what happens.

Large nozzle = lots of post print finishing but I rather enjoy that part.

At around 400mm tall per half despite adding a huge brim and slowing the print down the 'will it, won't it' fall over will be nail biting stuff.

It's just for fun, I'll probably tart it up and make a feature out of it on my garage wall.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by megamanex View Post

Assuming you meant mine. I had it turned off in that screenshot I think. There is a small fillet on the part. I would get this done with MJF Nylon not resin.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I understand a scanned STL is not a solid part, even further from a prepared solid part. I work with CAD daily
    I was pointing it out because not everyone would know that the reverse engineering isn't done in the scanning software.

Last edited by jamesrguk; 02-14-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Raw print with logo stollen from original.jpg

Just thought I'd pop this here as my full scale front grill finished printing this evening.

This is straight from the printer, no post print prep has been done.

James
    James Russell-Grant
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast