FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Delorean wont start

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2019

    Posts:    84

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It doesn't work that way.Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier- The Ignition Control Unit (ICU) monitors the distributors speed and outputs the signal on the WS wire. It is a grounding signal that makes the Coil fire. The RPM Relay looks at the signal to know when to turn the pump on/off. The Idle Speed Motor's control unit looks at the signal to adjust the idle. The tach looks at the signal to display the RPM. The engine does not use the tach for running. The tach would only affect the running if it had a short (to ground or power) -- If an external tach reads correctly, I'd forget about it for now and get it running.

    Bosch HR6DS spark plugs.

    Smoke is better and safer to find vacuum leaks...
    Thanks again to all the responses, I did put in a set of plugs I had on hand they werent new but when I put them in it startes right up on high idle then idled down, so I was happy with that. I was able to check the timing and the rpm with the timing light and it was actully had to increase the idle slightly, it was around 500, adjusted the idle up to around 780. Put the wheels on and the airfilter, and drove it around the yard, has a pretty good hesitation when I try to accelerate in drive. In reverse it goes pretty good, but in drive need to work the throttle to get it to move.

  2. #22
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,425

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks again to all the responses, I did put in a set of plugs I had on hand they werent new but when I put them in it startes right up on high idle then idled down, so I was happy with that.


    Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    I was able to check the timing and the rpm with the timing light and it was actully had to increase the idle slightly, it was around 500, adjusted the idle up to around 780.
    Put the wheels on and the airfilter, and drove it around the yard, has a pretty good hesitation when I try to accelerate in drive. In reverse it goes pretty good, but in drive need to work the throttle to get it to move.
    If you used the 3 brass screws (or other method) to adjust the idle, you should know that it should be 'automatically set' by the Idle Speed Control Unit. Checking the fuel pressures and items listed in section D:05:XX in the manual would be a good next step.
    Forward and reverse should basically act/feel the same pulling off...Note that the transmission is shifted electrically, using two solenoids. If there is an electrical problem, it may blow fuse #13. This puts it in 3rd gear (Not 2nd for a "limp mode" as some do.) which is extremely hard on the clutch pack(s)...they are only about as big as a fist and just a few "abuses" will toast them!
    I'd finish tweaking out the engine (idle system, confirm all basic settings etc.) W/O driving it. Then address the transmission. If needed, making some shift test light can be found HERE.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2019

    Posts:    84

    Well its been a little while since I have posted, being out of town makes it tough. Any way I have had some success, last go round I was able to get it to actually idle where it should or close to it, which I see and read verying numbers related to idle rpm. What is the correct idle for an automatic that is warmed up to temperature? Second what is the thoughts on using the Eagle premier starter? The casualty of my extended attempts at startinbg and getting it running, has taken its tole. Starter works but but the bendix/relay has a bad spot. Some time s need to cycle the key several times before it wil engage. The next step is to do the front brake system, and get new rubber on the wheels. What is the thoughts regarding powder coating the wheels?

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    7,947

    My VIN:    03572

    The stock idle ECU for both auto and manual is 775 RPM which is fixed if your engine is adjusted correctly.

    I have the small Eagle starter and it works fine and gives you a lot more room and less weight.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2019

    Posts:    84

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The stock idle ECU for both auto and manual is 775 RPM which is fixed if your engine is adjusted correctly.

    I have the small Eagle starter and it works fine and gives you a lot more room and less weight.
    Thank you for the response, I did see a post regarding the wiring can you tell me what the difference is and what I will need to do, sounded like there might be one less post on the eagle versus the dmc starter.

  6. #26
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    5,425

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Check out the pic HERE. Or you could tie the Blue/Yellow to the White/Red.

    If you VIN is <2547 you might want to check out the service bulletin HERE>

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2013

    Location:  NYS

    Posts:    2,440

    My VIN:    Formerly 10372, currently 4728 & 4519

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Check out the pic HERE. Or you could tie the Blue/Yellow to the White/Red.

    If you VIN is <2547 you might want to check out the service bulletin HERE>
    I just came across this pic, looks like the same pic with labeling:

    Premier-OEMstarters.jpg
    Livin' the dream....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •