FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front turn signals are completely possessed...

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Front turn signals are completely possessed...

The other week I switched my front turn signals out for LEDs (with an LED flasher as well) and discovered this problem. The wiring is untouched by me (10 years of ownership) and was unmentioned by either of the two previous owners. I only even discovered the issue because I drove it at night a few days ago and the headlights on/LED combo made the problem obvious. (I almost never drive it at night, and the problem is not obvious using incandescents)

The issue is not the LED itself- DeloreanGo sent me a different pair of LEDs after I contacted them about the problem, thinking it was bulb related similar to this thread but the problem remains.

This is how they behave (with the engine idling)

Incandescent bulbs, headlights on:

Hazards:
    Lights in binnacle flash
    Front right flashes
    Front left solid (bright)
    Side markers solid

Right turn:
    Light in binnacle flashes
    Front right flashes
    Side markers solid

Left turn:
    Binnacle flashes
    Side markers solid

So, the left front light is always in bright mode (no idea why) but otherwise the binnacle indicators act normal, and I had no idea this was how the car behaved. Until I put the LEDs in. Then things got really crazy.

LED bulbs, headlights off:

Hazards:
    Everything flashes (front, binnacle, and all side markers)

Right turn:
    Front light flashes
    Side markers on right side (front and rear) flash

Left turn:
    Front light flashes
    Side markers off

Not a huge problem... The turn signals act normal, and for some reason the side markers flash with my right side. No idea why.

Then I went for a drive at night, and nothing made sense.

LED bulbs, headlights on:

Neutral position:
    All exteriors solid
    Left binnacle light solid on (right side off)

Hazards:
    Everything solid (front, binnacle, and all side markers)

Right turn:
    Right front flashes
    Right binnacle flashes
    Left binnacle solid
    Left front normal
    Side markers solid

Left turn:
    Left front solid
    Left binnacle solid
    Right front normal
    Right binnacle off
    Side markers solid

I removed the front grill and saw nothing that explains this to me.

Passenger side:
    71475871_495682940984248_7519533900368969728_n.jpg

Drivers side:
    72126177_1010868749244782_3878979840568721408_n.jpg

What on earth is going on with my turn signals??
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

get your DMM out and start checking the resistance of grounds.
    Seems like a bad ground at the very least

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I second checking the grounding points. When the electric can't get back to the battery through ground it is sneaky and tries to find another way and in the process can "back feed" into other circuits which are attached to the same grounding point. It can cause all kinds of weird problems. LED's are more sensitive and will light up as opposed to incandescent bulbs which will be so dim you would not notice. You documented your problem very well but the only common denominator is that they all depend on a good grounding points.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Incandescent bulbs, headlights on:
    Left turn:
    Binnacle flashes
    Side markers solid
    ^This stands out the most to me.
    The Left Binnacle and Left Front Indicator are powered by the same wire (GR). Since the Binnacle blinks only, the Front Left Indicator is getting power it shouldn't -- Have you chased the Left Front marker's ground to see if someone did the mod to make it flash?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ^This stands out the most to me.
    The Left Binnacle and Left Front Indicator are powered by the same wire (GR). Since the Binnacle blinks only, the Front Left Indicator is getting power it shouldn't -- Have you chased the Left Front marker's ground to see if someone did the mod to make it flash?
    This seems quite plausible.

Also, since the grill is removed. Consider swapping sides with the Parking/signal socket harness assemblies. This is quick way to eliminate or verify a possible bad socket assembly. If the problem moves you know is the socket is the problem. If not, it’s likely a bad PO mod.

Tell tail of the possibility of a mod is the flashing right markers.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5999

I'll just throw this out there. I had similar issues with my car, after installing LED turn signals/side marker lights (and LED flasher unit). It turned out to be a bad hazard light switch that was causing all the problems.

My VIN:    03500

Just a thought because it happened to me. While installing a head light switch saver and replacing the tiny bulbs in the switches with LEDs. My external lights were not acting right. First thought I did something wrong with the switch saver. But tracked it down to the little bulb. The wires to the bulb were making contact inside the switch making things all weird. Took a while to figure out because it also blew fuses.

Dave B.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Remove the junk 3 pin factory connectors and hard wire a 3 pin weatherpack connector. When I restored 11035 a few years back my connectors were very corroded and I'm surprised they even worked in the 1st place.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Tell tail of the possibility of a mod is the flashing right markers.
    Yep. And it only does it when the headlights are off, like the mod. The odd part there is that the Right Rear markers flash too. A short in the double filament bulb/socket, or a single element bulb in the double's socket, might cause that part (guessing -- I didn't study it that close).

I'd go all incandescent (maybe not in the binnacle at first) to sort it out...

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

All solid ideas to check. I'm also thinking of running a ground bus from front to back as part of working on this issue. I’m going to keep the car down for a few weeks while I attempt to chase this down as I recover my seat skins.
    I’ll post back with any findings.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast