Got a weird thing going on with my electrical system. Coming home from DMC Midwest on Thursday night, my voltage meter was running high - up into the 16-17 volt range. Turning on the AC would make the voltage meter swing the opposite direction below 12 volts, everything in the car dimmed, radio quit working, dash lights dimmed, headlights dimmed, and the battery light came on on the dashboard. I suspected the voltage regulator in the alternator was going out. The car finally died at a rest area along the Interstate and I ended up getting towed the rest of the way home.

Pulled the alternator this morning and took it to a local auto parts store to swap out. They tested the alternator and its perfectly fine. Passed all of the tests on their machine.

I have converted all of the gauge cluster lights to LED, but did leave the battery light as incandescent, sooN don't think its a charging issue.

My alternator is not a DMC alternator, but a cross reference to a Cadillac Eldorado. Its worked perfectly fine for the last 4 years. It wasn't my choice, as the previous owner swapped it out and modified the wiring at the alternator. In 2015, I just replaced what he had in there with another just like it.

Where do I look now?