FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Popping out of second

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If, for any reason, you can't get that level plug out (and you removed the drain plug) you can't get oil back in!
    Or... you can just use a barb fitting in the drain opening along with a hand pump & hose on your gear oil bottle to get the measured amount of oil back in.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

My guess is you never actually did it. Good luck getting the oil in and getting the drain plug in before it all comes out! But you are right, if all else failed and I couldn't get the level plug out I would give it a try.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3182

..... Low oil in the transmission (or the wrong stuff) can also affect shifts. If you don't know what is in there or the last time it was changed it is time to do it. ....
    Thank you for this reminder as I have never changed or even checked the level here.
    What is the "right stuff" for a top off or drain and refill?
    Bob

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

My guess is you never actually did it. Good luck getting the oil in and getting the drain plug in before it all comes out! But you are right, if all else failed and I couldn't get the level plug out I would give it a try.
    Your guess is inaccurate. It's really not that hard to remove a fitting, put your finger over the drain hole and then quickly swap your finger for the drain plug. You will lose some fluid but you make up for it by putting a little more than required in to make up the difference. Honestly this is the method for many different things, not just a delorean with a failed fill plug. For instance, changing the oil in marine lower units and yes, I can assure you I've done that too. Ford 5r55 transmissions require you to pump fluid in them. I could go on...

To the OP, your best bet would probably be to drain and refill, not top it off since you don't know what is in there now. There is a link below discussing the oil, 6 pages worth of posts - the consensus is 75-90 or 80-90. I am sure you'll get a more in depth post here on oil dos and donts, best vs worst, "what I use", etc. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Edit: I forgot the link! http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?54...on-fluid-(MTF)
    Last edited by dn010; 10-16-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2