Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
If you use an ordinary paper or metal shim you should use some kind of sealer. The type of shim the manual says to use would not need any additional sealer. Not sure what the availability is of those shims anymore. Important to use a sealer meant for this application if you do use a sealer. Lotus had a big problem with liner seal sealer in their early V-8's and it resulted in a recall. The sealer must remain somewhat flexible. If it hardens it cracks. Even though the liner is locked in place by the step in the block and the clamping pressure of the heads, it still moves slightly. The sealer must be flexible to accommodate that movement and the thermal variations along with the different expansion and contraction rates of the steel liners and the aluminum block. Some sealer require a primer. Some have very specific times that it can be assembled in before it dries out. Important details. In all cases all of the sealing surfaces must be scrupulously clean.
Ok, I will use the hylamar AF. Non hardening, and will remain soft and flexible in the mean time before the heads go back on.
Whats your opinion on moving a liner and piston from one position to another? I can make them step from highest (most protrusion) to shortest (least protrusion) or are mine close enough since they are all within .001 of each other?