FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fusebox terminal removal tool ID

Fusebox terminal removal tool ID

Hi all,
    I'm going to take on the fusebox. While I plan to replace the terminals I do want to remove them from the fusebox first rather than snipping flush. Does anyone know the part number of the required terminal removal tool?

As you might expect I found a crispy #7 in there.

Thanks,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    03572

You will find it is not worth the effort to remove the old terminals. And if you just cut the wire flush you have something to reference what wires and wire colors should go to each new fuse.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm going to take on the fusebox. While I plan to replace the terminals I do want to remove them from the fusebox first rather than snipping flush. Does anyone know the part number of the required terminal removal tool?

As you might expect I found a crispy #7 in there.

Thanks,
    Ken
    I understand your desire here. While I mostly agree with Dave's comments, I too removed the old terminals, mainly in an effort to preserve as much of the wires length as possible. I used a straight pick to bend the bottom of the connector in slightly, and then inserted it in the middle of the top connector between the connector and the plastic box to bend back & release release the small tab. While I had the pick inserted, I wiggled the wire from the bottom to release the terminal.

I drew a chart to record each location ( fuse number, L and R) to keep them straight and marked each wire with painters tape and a sharpie. When installing the new ones, I put a short length of heat shrink tubing on each terminal. Like so..

Also, do yourself a favor and get a quality crimping tool, similar to this one:

Edit: I think the proper terminal extraction tool is something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Remo.../dp/B076G9MGC6
    Last edited by DMC-81; 10-15-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I understand your desire here. While I mostly agree with Dave's comments, I too removed the old terminals, mainly in an effort to preserve as much of the wires length as possible. I used a straight pick to bend the bottom of the connector in slightly, and then inserted it in the middle of the top connector between the connector and the plastic box to bend back & release release the small tab. While I had the pick inserted, I wiggled the wire from the bottom to release the terminal.

I drew a chart to record each location ( fuse number, L and R) to keep them straight and marked each wire with painters tape and a sharpie. When installing the new ones, I put a short length of heat shrink tubing on each terminal. Like so..

Also, do yourself a favor and get a quality crimping tool, similar to this one:

Edit: I think the proper terminal extraction tool is something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Remo.../dp/B076G9MGC6
    Thank you- very helpful.

Best,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I think that tool is for fiber optics. The release tool for spade terminals looks like a small regular screwdriver with the tip shaped like the small rectangular hole you can see while looking at the receiving end of the terminal. They were posted here somewhere but I didn't find it.