FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Lambda problem?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The orange wire is the FV signal through a 1 kohm resistor. Try your meter on the three pin bulkhead connector red/ brown wire but my bet is your meter is NG.
    I have also seen problems with the connections in that large plug that goes into the Lambda control module. Make sure you have continuity from that plug all the way to the diagnostic plug. There can also be troubles in the bulkhead connectors where the ignition coil lives. Check the ground connections too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10075

Thank you both very much, I will try these suggestions asap. -Something- is coming through, as the needle moves a bit on the RPM and Volts settings as a mentioned.

The orange wire is the FV signal through a 1 kohm resistor. Try your meter on the three pin bulkhead connector red/ brown wire but my bet is your meter is NG.
    Jumped the RPM wires and tried the meter (FV was buzzing loudly before I d/c the bulkhead connection) - 0 on dwell, 0 on RPM, but a decent reading on voltage - nearly half of the needle movement. Bad meter for sure?

David, thanks for this. I was able to get continuity from the diagnostic port to the lambda connector, about 10 ohms though. Bulkhead connector looks good and I'm not finding any bad grounds - really did a good once-over on them a few year ago (doesn't mean I haven't missed any - I saw a great thread will ground locations and will check each).

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by bluscreen View Post
    Jumped the RPM wires and tried the meter (FV was buzzing loudly before I d/c the bulkhead connection) - 0 on dwell, 0 on RPM, but a decent reading on voltage - nearly half of the needle movement. Bad meter for sure?

David, thanks for this. I was able to get continuity from the diagnostic port to the lambda connector, about 10 ohms though. Bulkhead connector looks good and I'm not finding any bad grounds - really did a good once-over on them a few year ago (doesn't mean I haven't missed any - I saw a great thread will ground locations and will check each).
    The signal is a 50% square wave. That is why you read about 6 volts DC. It would also read AC voltage if you have another meter that reads that.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

The signal is a 50% square wave. That is why you read about 6 volts DC. It would also read AC voltage if you have another meter that reads that.
    That makes perfect sense, thank you. Should dwell have read anything? I should have a new meter tomorrow to compare against.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by bluscreen View Post
    That makes perfect sense, thank you. Should dwell have read anything? I should have a new meter tomorrow to compare against.
    Dwell compares the on and off time to give you a ratio number. So your meter should adjust the threshold mid way (about 6 volts) and do the compare there.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Dwell compares the on and off time to give you a ratio number. So your meter should adjust the threshold mid way (about 6 volts) and do the compare there.
    I've always wondered - thank you for this!

Picked up the new meter last week... dwell setting now reads a value. Nice! Thank you both so much for responding here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4