FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clearance/alignment for coolant tubes

Clearance/alignment for coolant tubes

Hello,
    As I have started pulling all the cooling circuit hoses in preparation for installing a full silicone hose set, I notices that in many areas the ends of the metal coolant tubes are almost or actually in contact with each other at both ends between runs. For example at the lower right radiator connection, and the left rear under body connection. There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance by design, but I wonder if I have some funky aftermarket parts installed. Does anyone have tips on optimal end to end alignment of the system? The joint just in front of the engine on the left is interfering so badly that the rubber was bowed down 4" below the floor, in danger of being hit by speed bumps.

Also- for the metal pipes that run above the fuel tank closeout, there doesn't seem to be (per the IPC) any retention behind that panel, yet the pipes are rigidly held in position with the rubber joints removed at both ends. Any insight as to what is above there holding the pipes in place?

Thanks,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

the pipes that run next to the fuel tank just sit in there, there should be some foam blocking in around them, now kinda triangle shaped. drop the tank and the pipes fall out. I just did this on my car.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The pipes can be moved and rotated so they don't touch or interfere with anything. If they do rub against anything it can wear a hole through the thin aluminum.
    David Teitelbaum

With respect to retaining the coolant pipes above the fuel tank cover plate, there are no retaining brackets there. The pipes are compressed against the fuel tank (not a great design).

You can eliminate many of metal pipes to simplify the system and reduce the number of leak points.

For example:

1. From the LH "S"-shaped fuel tank pipe to the LH side of the radiator can be a single piece of silicone hose.
    2. From the LH "S"-shaped fuel tank pipe to the "otterstat pipe" can be a single piece of silicone hose.
    3. From the RH "S"-shaped fuel tank pipe to the "Y-pipe" that goes to the header tank can be a single piece of silicone hose.

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Hello,
    As I have started pulling all the cooling circuit hoses in preparation for installing a full silicone hose set, I notices that in many areas the ends of the metal coolant tubes are almost or actually in contact with each other at both ends between runs. For example at the lower right radiator connection, and the left rear under body connection. There doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance by design, but I wonder if I have some funky aftermarket parts installed. Does anyone have tips on optimal end to end alignment of the system? The joint just in front of the engine on the left is interfering so badly that the rubber was bowed down 4" below the floor, in danger of being hit by speed bumps.

Also- for the metal pipes that run above the fuel tank closeout, there doesn't seem to be (per the IPC) any retention behind that panel, yet the pipes are rigidly held in position with the rubber joints removed at both ends. Any insight as to what is above there holding the pipes in place?

Thanks,
    Ken

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Hello,

Thanks,
    Ken
    If you could share some photos of your coolant pipes and hoses, maybe one of us on here could spot a bracket missing?

Josh at DPI has most of these brackets available for sale as new stainless products. Many of those coolant pipe brackets are on this page here: https://deloreanindustries.com/1-3-1-radiator/

The oil cooler support bracket (https://store.delorean.com/p-6306-oi...supt-brkt.aspx) is on the passenger side, just in front of the engine, and helps hold up the return coolant hose/pipe. If you have a manual trans, your oil cooler pipe isn't a cooler, it is just a pipe. On the automatics, that oil cooler is a simple heat exchanger using the coolant to help cool the ATF. Same bracket though and if yours is missing, it might be causing some of that coolant pipe sag.

Josh has that bracket for sale, but the photo isn't showing for me, so that's why I gave you the link to Houston's page. It is for sale here: https://deloreanindustries.com/delor...pport-bracket/

Another is the dual bracket that holds both of those centre coolant pipes right behind the opening for the fuel accumulator. It is here: https://deloreanindustries.com/52-fr...kit-stainless/

Sept. 81, auto, black interior