FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accumulator, supply & return line replacement

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Accumulator, supply & return line replacement

I purchased new fuel accumulator supply and return lines as well as a new accumulator. I removed the two connections on the top and when I remove the bottom flexible line fuel keeps coming out of the line. I let it go for a while and it keeps leaking fuel so I cannot replace the flex to hard line nor the accumulator. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I believe this line is the return hose correct? Also being that the connections are fuel oriented I assume that here is no need to put thread sealant on the connections correct. Just tighten as tight as possible. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    I purchased new fuel accumulator supply and return lines as well as a new accumulator. I removed the two connections on the top and when I remove the bottom flexible line fuel keeps coming out of the line. I let it go for a while and it keeps leaking fuel so I cannot replace the flex to hard line nor the accumulator. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I believe this line is the return hose correct? Also being that the connections are fuel oriented I assume that here is no need to put thread sealant on the connections correct. Just tighten as tight as possible. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Take your air cleaner off push the sense plate down to relieve pressure. Also if you have pressure in the system when the car is not running then your accumulator is probably working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Giamanut View Post
    Take your air cleaner off push the sense plate down to relieve pressure. Also if you have pressure in the system when the car is not running then your accumulator is probably working fine.
    I will try that today. Thank you. I assumed the accumulator was fine as I haven’t had any issues relating to its failure. The problem I was experiencing was a leaking fuel line and based on what I read I had to remove the accumulator anyway to replace the lines so given the tight quarters I figured I should do everything at once.
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yes, that would be the return line. It joins the return line from the FD on the way back to the tank. There should be no fuel escaping from the accumulator into the return line, unless its diaphragm is damaged. (Pressing the plate will not relieve pressure in the return lines. It can flood the cylinders.) Since the line runs uphill to the top of the tank then to the bottom of it, you may just need to give it time to empty the hose, or it may be siphoning the tank. If you remove the return line at the pump, any siphoning would stop and the line will empty quickly.

Option, if spills aren't a huge problem (safety/mess/etc.)-
    Get a large catch pan and a plug that fits the line (Sorry, I don't remember the size since I keep an assortment on hand.) The system is not vented, so remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank. Disconnect the line and let it drain into the pan. If it doesn't quit right away, plug it. ...Rinse everything thoroughly!

Accumulator supply and return line

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yes, that would be the return line. It joins the return line from the FD on the way back to the tank. There should be no fuel escaping from the accumulator into the return line, unless its diaphragm is damaged. (Pressing the plate will not relieve pressure in the return lines. It can flood the cylinders.) Since the line runs uphill to the top of the tank then to the bottom of it, you may just need to give it time to empty the hose, or it may be siphoning the tank. If you remove the return line at the pump, any siphoning would stop and the line will empty quickly.

Get a large catch pan and a plug that fits the line (Sorry, I don't remember the size since I keep an assortment on hand.) The system is not vented, so remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank. Disconnect the line and let it drain into the pan. If it doesn't quit right away, plug it. ...Rinse everything thoroughly!
    I’m going to have to try this. I removed the air cleaner and propped open the air intake but that didn’t work. See attached photo. If I just open the gas cap that won’t do it? Or do I need to disconnect the return line as well?

To clarify the top two lines are disconnected and the only line that is connected is the bottom return line.

Thanks

Jason
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Ras12; 11-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Oh yeah, you are correct of course!

I’m going to have to try this. I removed the air cleaner and propped open the air intake but that didn’t work. See attached photo. If I just open the gas cap that won’t do it? Or do I need to disconnect the return line as well?

To clarify the top two lines are disconnected and the only line that is connected is the bottom return line.

Thanks

Jason
    No, but it has been sitting a while, the temp hasn't changed, etc., the tank probably doesn't have pressure. It don't appear to be under any pressure from the pic, to me. And it looks like you can get to it to plug it...

Long version-
    If pressure is pushing fuel out of the hose, then releasing the cap will take care of the that. But if the return hose is full when you take it off of the accumulator, it can continue to siphon (slower) until the fuel drains down lower than the tank end of the hose. That be the case, if you take it loose at the fuel tank, air will go into both ends where you separated it (down into tank & the other end of the return line at the accumulator), and stop the siphon... Otherwise, it is just what's uphill in the return hose(s) draining.

Get an extra cup.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi. this happened to me when I replaced my accumulator. As Ron mentioned, the fuel is siphoning out of the fuel tank. I blew some compressed air up through the end of the return line where the fuel was coming out and that broke the siphon.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

+1 ...make sure you leave the gas cap is off!

Ok, so I disconnected the return line and opened the cap and presto the hose stopped leaking. Thanks again to all who guided me through this. I then replaced the hoses and the accumulator, tightened all the clamps and the connections s and everything looked fantastic (besides the cuts on my hands). I even was able to zip tie one of the front feeds up high so it didn’t interfere with any of the linkages in the area. I reconnected the return feed, put the cap back on, cranked her over and BAM...the hard connection to the accumulator is leaking again (that was the original problem). I cleaned out the “L” shaped connection and made sure I tightened the crap out of it. Upon inspecting it is did notice a small round metal o-ring type of metal around the connection to the accumulator but that doesn’t seem to be leaking. It appears to be coming from the connection between the hardline and the “L” shaped connector. See the attached photos with drip shown in the first one. Anyone experience this as well? Any “deep thoughts by Jack Handy?” (Ok I’m showing my age but I’m still not that old!! If you cannot help with this leak then What 80’s show is that reference from? Ha!
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast