FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 2022, LS Swap

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

VIN 2022, LS Swap

Hey guys, I just wrapped up another LS Swap so I figured I would share here.

The owner of 2022 had seen a video of my car on Youtube and reached out me to ask if I would be interested in fixing up his car. It was all original and missing the engine. This original inquiry was in late 2016.
    I thought about it for a year, and we worked out the details. He shipped me his car in late 2017 and work began. This was just shy of a two year project. It was not my only project as well - I still did some major work to 11408 and house renovations. To put it lightly, it was a very busy time for me. But in the end, I am extremely happy how 2022 turned out. It is very much a "hop in and drive" kind of car. Everything works as it should and the car has proven to be very reliable. All the gauges work, the power comes on in a subtle way, starts and warms up like any modern car, nice cold A/C, etc. I have also documented the car fairly well. I drew up a full wiring diagram and compiled a small "owners manual" including information such as replacement parts and the vehicles they came off of for future trouble shooting.

This build was very in depth and required a body off as it required a full restoration in addition to the engine swap. Futhermore, this is my first time working with this Porsche transmission so I had to start from scratch with all the mounts and whatnot. If this car had a stock UN1 transmission it would have sped the whole project up. The UN1 was originally going to be used in the swap but the transmission had been sitting for many years and had severe internal rust and pitting.

Build Details:
    2006 GM LS4
    2002 Porsche 911 6 speed transmission
    GM factory EFI
    Full emissions equipment (4 x O2 sensors, Charcoal can, evap valve, vent valve, etc)
    Cruise control
    6" Touchscreen android stereo
    Full QA1 Coil over suspension (drivestainless)

Now on to the pictures:

The original pickup. The car had been sitting for almost 10 years in this state. No engine, all original parts. Everything needed replacing.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Teardown and stock components buildup:

LS4 engine, right out of the junkyard

Body removed from frame

Cleaning the frame up. It is a desert car, the frame is in very good shape. Some touch ups needed but nothing major.

Front and rear brake and suspension setups. Miata brakes up front, QA1 coilovers all around. Using DeloreanGo LCA outriggers and refurbished stock LCAs by the talented Clint Wolff.

All new brake lines and master cylinder

Wilwood clutch master cylinder, a smaller bore than stock to help lighten up the clutch pedal.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Here are several pictures of the process of adapting the transmission to the engine, then making the mounts to fit it to the frame.
    Used a 2002 Porsche 911 transmission. Most of the other swaps i am involved with use the stock UN1 transmission, but the one that came with 2022 was damaged beyond repair due to improper storage unfortunately.

Porsche Transmission and comparison to the stock transmission

Shortened the transmission to allow room for the accessories. Front to back room is very tight!

Installing the Adapter plate. This is not my design, I am working on another design that is much nicer. It will be a one piece setup, not three pieces like this.

The engine and transmission mounts

Overall pictures of the engine and transmission sitting in the frame

Shifter Mounting. This was a bit of a challenge as the Porsche uses a cable shifter.

A few pictures of the removable rear crossmember. I also incorporated exhaust hangers.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

After the engine was in, the body went back on. It sure would be nice to have a proper 2 post lift!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

With the body on, I needed to finish up plumbing the coolant and fuel systems. I made many custom components for the coolant system, such as pipes to neatly run the lines around the engine and transmission and a header bottle to work with the LS4. As for the fuel system is is much simpler than the stock one.

Fuel pump and filter/regulator. Only 3 lines used in total.

The GM emissions devices are hidden in the pontoon

Some pictures of the custom coolant pipes and routing

Custom coolant header bottle. My next iteration will look more like stock. Non pressurized as the LS4 waterpump has a pressurized cap built into it.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Some more custom components

Air filter housing, incorporating the MAF sensor

Since the engine bay is cramped front to back, an elbow for the throttle body was fabricated. There are provisons for the cruise control cable as well as the MAP sensor.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Now for my favorite part - Wiring. Besides working all the GM related engine wiring I reworked the chassis harness fairly extensively. A new stereo system, climate controls, blower fan wiring, AC wiring, keyless entry, among other things were added.

Engine Wiring harness pulled from a pickup truck at the junkyard

Harness laid in the car ready to tie in and clean up.

Finished results of the wiring. I cleaned up the main fuse and relay box as well. All engine related fuses and relays are in the ECU compartment with the ECU, cruise control module, and OBD2 port.

Retrofitted Vehicle speed sensor for the ECU and cruise control

Relocated lighting controls as well as cruise control buttons

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

The last major hurdle was the exhaust. I hired this out to a local shop and i was very please with the results. He fit a lot of components in a very small area. All stainless components.
    the exhause houses 4 o2 sensors to retain all the emissions equipment. This means both banks have a upstream and downstream 02 sensor.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Last but not least, here are some finished pictures of 2022:

Mind the unloomed wiring and mismatched spark plug plug wire, I took these engine pictures before I was 100% finished

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    4519

Wow...super impressive Josh!

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast