FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Removing Oil pressure sensor

My VIN:    3028

Removing Oil pressure sensor

I am having trouble removing the oil pressure sensor, or getting into the tight space to access it to remove it. What are some tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.
    Barry

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I had a tough time with that a few years back. A stubby 15mm wrench did the trick for me. You need it to grab the hex part between thread and the round body of the sender. Don"t try to unscrew the old sender out by twisting the round body, it will break. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by AugustneverEnds; 05-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Are you trying to remove the one by the oi filter or the one on the driver's side?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm assuming the OP is asking about this: http://store.delorean.com/p-6093-oil...der-gauge.aspx

if you mean the sensor for the warning light, I had to remove the rear fascia to deal with that one
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I'm assuming the OP is asking about this: http://store.delorean.com/p-6093-oil...der-gauge.aspx

if you mean the sensor for the warning light, I had to remove the rear fascia to deal with that one
    Yes, I was wondering the same thing. But if it is the (other) sensor for the warning light with an original exhaust, I was able to remove and reinstall it from underneath the driver's side with a 15/16" socket and a 10 inch extension. I tightened the fitting to 28 ft/lbs which was enough to crush the copper ring and provide a leak tight seal.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10353

I changed it when doing an oil change. Filter was in the way for me. Once that was gone it was easy.

My VIN:    3028

Thank you all for the advice. It was the sensor on the drivers side I had to change. I have to say I rather change the accumulator again. I had to remove the nuts that hold the metal tab where the wire attaches to. This allowed me to get a 15/16 socket on which I attached to an extender bar. I know Dave mentioned some oil would pour out, but didn’t expect that much especially with a car that I left to drain for 2 days. The other thing I had to do was clip off the old electrical end because it was brittle and saturated with oil.

I then removed most of the bolts that hold the oil pan (one at a time) and wipe them and the area clean and dry. I always thought it was this gasket that was leaking.
    Barry

I know this is an older thread but I just changed my oil pressure sensor (drivers side that controls light). It took just a few minutes. Used a 23mm with 10 inch extension on a 3/8 drive. Was able to position socket drive in the cavity without removing anything else. Also was able to do it without jacking up the car.

Probably had about a 1/2 to 1 cup of oil drip out, but it wasn’t too bad. I can however see if you didn’t have the right size tools that it could be a pain, as the space is not tight but lots of metal in the way from various angles.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I changed it when doing an oil change. Filter was in the way for me. Once that was gone it was easy.
    This is likely to happen if an oil filter with a larger-than-OE diameter is installed.

The OE-spec Bosch or eq. filter fits fine without having to remove the oil pressure sensor.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior