FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New fuel filter slightly bent, still look ok to use?

My VIN:    3937

New fuel filter slightly bent, still look ok to use?

So I've had a new fuel filter since forever. Probably ten years ago since I ordered it as a kit with the oil and air filter. Just never got around to installing it. 3937 has the same fuel filter since new as far as I can tell. So I'm thinking maybe that's something I'll finally get to. Upon looking again at the filter, the top connection is a little crooked and off to one side. I don't see any obvious signs that the metal is weakened and the new bolts I have thread in just fine. Does it look ok to use to you?

I'd like to use it but also don't mind buying a new one if I must. I definitely don't need any surprise fuel leaks down there. Looking online though, I see that DeLoGO has new filters, that are slightly different. Anyone use these? Good to go? Houston also has their filters and I think they are the same old same old, but no picture so can't say for certain. Price is fine too. DeLoGO has an "original" listed however for three times the price which makes me wonder if the old ones are better but getting hard to come by?

Any current news on fuel filter availability or design?

IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0550.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Upon looking again at the filter, the top connection is a little crooked and off to one side. I don't see any obvious signs that the metal is weakened and the new bolts I have thread in just fine. Does it look ok to use to you?
    The photos are useful.

OK to use the new one with that bent fitting. The steel it's made of is ductile enough not to be cracked by the deformation you're showing.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The photos are useful.

OK to use the new one with that bent fitting. The steel it's made of is ductile enough not to be cracked by the deformation you're showing.
    Thanks Rich. I think I'll go ahead and use it. I need to order replacement fasteners and a new clamp, but this filter will be fine as is. Take it easy.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Yea even with the bent fitting I think its fine as indicated. I finally got mine replaced (also original one in place) when I went through my transmission fiasco. I wish I had tried to cut open the old one to see how it appeared but I was in a hurry (and kinda afraid I'd just set it aflame).

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks Rich. I think I'll go ahead and use it. I need to order replacement fasteners and a new clamp, but this filter will be fine as is. Take it easy.
    Order a pad if you don't have one...