FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cam timing

Cam timing

I used to have the workshop manual but can’t find it anymore. I will be installing cams in my motor that I have been rebuilding. What is the best way to set up cam timing? Motor is at TDC right now. Thank you in advance

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    5051

That is great advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Giamanut View Post
    That is great advise!
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but the link is to the workshop manual along with other manuals that are very helpful. OP -Go into the manual, print out the procedure and have it in front of you while you're installing the cams and then you know you're doing it properly.
    -----Dan B.

Thank you guys. I had a workshop manual that I purchased from PJ Grady back in 1998 that I have no idea where it is now. But those links are most helpful. Can’t wait to get motor running. One quick question though, would it be same procedure in setting up timing if I put a set of high performance cams in it?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Workshop Manual is for stock cams. If you use anything else you must consult with the cam manufacturer as to the proper method of installation.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    OP -Go into the manual, print out the procedure and have it in front of you while you're installing the cams and then you know you're doing it properly.
    +1

Unless you purchased cams so wild that the valves would hit the pistons (requiring special gears etc.), which I seriously doubt, the timing procedure would be the same. The valve lash and break-in procedure might be different...

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes if installing reground cams you definitely need to use a degree wheel with a dial indicator to check the cam event timing. Its critical. I went through a two year headache of trying to get a set of cams to work properly. Alot of it was user error and some was hardware (new chains that were much shorter than original ones but visually were indistinguishable, 6 degrees off makes a big change. )

These engines do not have any reference marks at all for the cams or crank. Although you can stick a drill bit down a hole plugged under the water pump to lock the crank at TDC for #1. Remember you have to also dial in the other bank on cyl 6 which is at TDC 150°after #1.

If you get the cam off one tooth that is 19 degrees out of spec. The car will run but will make about us half as much power as it should. The cam gears aren't really adjustable otherwise. So you may have to re-drill the keyway in the cam sprockets after you get everything lined up using degree wheel dial in method.

Also if you get the cylinder head decked/machined that changes your timing to. The book says you're not supposed to resurface the heads but it's doable as long as you address the timing issue afterwards.

The cams I am getting are a set of DPI camshafts. So does anyone have any experience with those?

Best to just go directly to the source. Email Josh.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast