FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74

Thread: Tesla cybertruck

  1. #41
    Banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,913

    Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    Ugly as s#!t.
    One of the many reasons I am drawn to it. I love designs that take the road less traveled to stay true to the vision rather than try to appease the masses. This truck wasn't designed for the guy who wants to impress. In fact the reason it looks like it does is the stainless panels are cold rolled 30x making them extremely dense and tough, damn near dent proof. There isn't a die out there that is tough enough to stamp steel that hard in mass quantities so it must be folded like paper.

  2. #42
    Senior Member DMCVegas's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2011

    Location:  Las Vegas

    Posts:    2,483

    My VIN:    6585

    Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I fall on the side of liking the new Tesla Cyber truck. Same thing that attracted me to the DeLorean attracts me to the new truck. In about a year or two, I will be in the market for a new truck. But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine.

    Shame, because I would consider this new cyber truck as my truck solution if it had an IC engine.

    Petroleum fuels aren't going anywhere any time soon. Particularly as far as the government is concerned. ICE vehicles contribute far too much in fuel taxes to be outlawed anytime soon. Let alone the industries surrounding petroleum.

    Range isn't really a concern, although that depends upon where you live. Houston is an ideal city for EVs. Everywhere up and down I-10 and the other roads have charging stations. Along with lots of employers who offer parking spots with 110V outlets for EV charging. My guess is that due to regulatory costs, let alone fuel price dictation by the petroleum companies along with competition between convenience stores, we'll probably see a significant sea change in the future of gas stations that start ripping out pumps & tanks to convert to EV recharging stations. So that'll offset things even more.

    But given that apartment complexes don't offer onsite EV charging for each resident's assigned parking spot, gasoline & diesel aren't going away anytime soon.

    Even then, my biggest concern isn't even range anxiety. It's the fact that we don't have a massive aftermarket support network for repairing EVs. Toyota sold ungodly amounts of Priuses (or whatever the Plural of Prius is), so there's a massive support network there of aftermarket battery parts suppliers. Which is precisely what we need, but we don't have that with EVs. Every 3-4 years car makers are killing off existing EVs and migrating electric options to completely new platforms. Which kills the parts supply. Once they overcome that and make EVs super cheap to repair, that's when we'll see more widespread adoption.
    Robert

    Wake me when hockey season returns...

  3. #43
    Banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,913

    Personally I see how quickly technology doubles and price is reduced. In the 1800's it took 100 years to double our collective technological prowess. These days it's every 6 months(probably less). I see how far the electric car has come in the past decade and with the range increasing, charge times and cost decreasing, and infrastructure growing, I have no doubt in my mind the next 10 years will see the EV be the mainstay of everyday travel.

    I however am not one of those people that would buy a EV and then stick my tongue out at the gas crowd. I know there would not be a county let alone an EV if it were not for the gas engine and let's be honest, there isn't a battery in existence that will get a 747 off the ground or a cargo ship across the Atlantic. The EV as a viable mode of transportation is right around the corner but gas ain't going anywhere for some time.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-05-2019 at 10:04 PM.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    126

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    One of the many reasons I am drawn to it. I love designs that take the road less traveled to stay true to the vision rather than try to appease the masses. This truck wasn't designed for the guy who wants to impress. In fact the reason it looks like it does is the stainless panels are cold rolled 30x making them extremely dense and tough, damn near dent proof. There isn't a die out there that is tough enough to stamp steel that hard in mass quantities so it must be folded like paper.

    I'm drawn to different looking things as well, but not ugly. I would never buy a big ticket item that I had to "get used" to looking at.
    Ugly?: check. I now have enough info on whether or not I will consider this vehicle. It flies and floats too you say - lost me at first impression.

    To each their own, but this turd will need a lot of polishing.

  5. #45
    Senior Member DMCVegas's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2011

    Location:  Las Vegas

    Posts:    2,483

    My VIN:    6585

    Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The EV as a viable mode of transportation is right around the corner but gas ain't going anywhere for some time.
    Agreed. It'll definitely grow from commuting to certain levels of interstate travel, but there are somethings that EVs just can't do. I can't wait for the first story of a Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down. A full ICE engine, or even a hybrid can easily and quickly be refueled, and that fuel is lightweight to carry back. But batteries? You're gonna need to either tow the thing out, or bring a generator and a whole bunch of gasoline to run it so you can recharge the batteries.
    Robert

    Wake me when hockey season returns...

  6. #46
    Banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,913

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...te-orders/amp/

    Looks like the cheapskates were screwed over. The 2WD was widely thought to be the first trucks available but poor pre order numbers changed the timetable. I changed my order to the AWD a day or so after I reserved a 2WD version. 10k more for 20% more range and almost twice the acceleration not to mention the benefits of AWD.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2017

    Posts:    180

    So you will have your truck in about 4-5 years

  8. #48
    Banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,913

    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    So you will have your truck in about 4-5 years
    From what the article said, actual ordering will begin in 2021 and production follows shortly after. I'm not far up on the list but I also know that when everyone gets that email contract wanting more than a Benjaminn, 75% will back out, probably more. I figure I will be around spring 2022 at the earliest, fall 2022 at the latest. (If I can bare to let go of my DeLorean by then).

  9. #49
    Senior Member mr_maxime's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2015

    Posts:    1,113

    My VIN:    10201

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Agreed. It'll definitely grow from commuting to certain levels of interstate travel, but there are somethings that EVs just can't do. I can't wait for the first story of a Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down. A full ICE engine, or even a hybrid can easily and quickly be refueled, and that fuel is lightweight to carry back. But batteries? You're gonna need to either tow the thing out, or bring a generator and a whole bunch of gasoline to run it so you can recharge the batteries.
    Its possible but that's really user error. When you consider how much less likely it is to have a mechanical failure, I'd say it really shouldn't be a concern. Imagine doing that with an Ice truck and the fuel pump or clutch dies, you'd likely need a tow, but the ev doesn't have those parts to break down.

    I have a coworker who drives a leaf, the only breakdown he had was the original 12v battery dying around 5 years into ownership.

    I think a big problem with Evs currently is everyone making their own battery and in different form factors. If they started standardizing and using a common supplier it might make adoption easier, especially if they make them swappable like a forklift battery pack. Even using 18650 cells like Tesla does but a different packaging would speed up overall adoption and hopefully lower overall costs. 18650 are also used in laptops and can be used in a home battery backup storage, so there is an incentive to mass produce a standard form outside of evs

  10. #50
    '82 T3 FABombjoy's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Lansing, MI

    Posts:    898

    My VIN:    10270

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Tesla truck that dies out on a remote mountain trail because the battery is run down.
    "Whoops, I went done ran outta battery!" is a scenario that you'd have to insist on putting yourself in.

    But for your mountain scenario, just point your truck back down the trail and regenerative brake back down to ground level.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

    Console5.com - Game console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •