FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla cybertruck

Quote Originally Posted by carbob81 View Post

As far as stealth radar speed detection cars those with fiberglass bodies sort or ruled this for a long time and gave you a lot more time/distance but now most enforcement officers do not use radar.
    Yes, it is still used in small towns with smaller budgets. A corvette is as close to invisible as you can get in this world and the older ones where better.
    Radar sees metal, in a vette the radiator, roof supports front plate and headlamps.
    Lidar sees all.
    RADAR does not “see” metal. Many materials will reflect RADAR. If a fiberglass body car was not detected until it was close by it has more to do with the size and shape of the car than what material it is made of.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Well I loved it so much I pre ordered one of the 2wd versions. I will most likely sell my DeLorean when the time comes because I don't have the garage space for both. It's going to be 2 years before it's ready and that translates to 2.5 years at least. I just paid off my home so as of last week I am 100% debt free. A lot can happen in 2 years so maybe I will not be on board by then but as of now at least I want the option.

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well I loved it so much I pre ordered one of the 2wd versions. I will most likely sell my DeLorean when the time comes because I don't have the garage space for both. It's going to be 2 years before it's ready and that translates to 2.5 years at least. I just paid off my home so as of last week I am 100% debt free. A lot can happen in 2 years so maybe I will not be on board by then but as of now at least I want the option.
    I also placed a pre-order for a 4WD version It'll make a fun complement to the TesLorean.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I also placed a pre-order for a 4WD version It'll make a fun complement to the TesLorean.
    I have been batting around the 4wd version but as I read the site, it's about 3 years away vs. 2 years for the 2wd. I may be changing my order but we will see how things pan out with them. The tri motor is not going to happen for me unless I get some windfall in the next 24 months. I just paid this morning so I have a lengthy contract to read tonight.

I fall on the side of liking the new Tesla Cyber truck. Same thing that attracted me to the DeLorean attracts me to the new truck. In about a year or two, I will be in the market for a new truck. But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine.

Shame, because I would consider this new cyber truck as my truck solution if it had an IC engine.

Last edited by Citizen; 11-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I fall on the side of liking the new Tesla Cyber truck. Same thing that attracted me to the DeLorean attracts me to the new truck. In about a year or two, I will be in the market for a new truck. But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine.

Shame, because I would consider this new cyber truck as my truck solution if it had an IC engine.

The only weakness I see at this time in the electric car is range. It ticks ALL the boxes you outlined, especially power. I guess if I were into long range driving, I would not gravitate towards electric power but even that hurdle is shrinking by the month as technology improves. The version I ended up pre ordering (basically getting in line for) is the AWD mid range. 300 miles on a charge, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the linear torque only an electric motor provides would pretty much out perform even the Raptor. In over 10 years of ownership, I can count on one hand how many 300+ mile days I have had in the DeLorean so the "limited" range is not that important to me and with the ever growing number of supercharger stations, even that is becoming a non issue.

I really wish I had pre ordered much sooner because even though I know many will just decide against buying in a few years, I know there are at least 200k people in front of me. Even with a drop out rate of 50 or even 70%, I don't see my turn coming in 2 years. I give myself about a 70% chance of pulling the trigger when my reservation number comes and I am basing that on timeframe alone, not getting cold feet. If it's going to be 2 or 3 years before I am behind the wheel, I just don't know how much the tech will have changed by then and 2+ years is a long way off to be buying based on today's tech. On the other hand, I am also one of those guys who often follows his gut. This is the FIRST vehicle since laying eyes on the DeLorean that really speaks to me and I want to be a part of it.

My VIN:    10201

Range is really the only potential downside.

Coworker told me about a company using a fleet of teslas that went over 500k miles easy. Maintenance is way easier and I personally find that and charging at home to be way more convenient than having to stop at a gas station. I get it if you're constantly driving near the range limit or beyond it though.

There have been only 4 instances in my life where I've driven over 300 miles in a single trip so range in a Tesla never seemed like an issue to me. Even then a Tesla supercharging station takes about 30 mins, definitely longer than filling up, but I wouldnt mind that break after driving for 300 miles (or 80% of that).

I plan on using nissan leaf batteries in my delorean conversion, which will give me roughly 100 miles. Driving to work is 35 miles. At 70 miles a day minimum, I'll be pushing the limit since I'm limited to trickle charging at home ~5 miles of range/hr). It wont be my primary car, but there is a charger at work and a public charging station about 1 mile down the road at the grocery store. Once I get 240V at home, then it'll easily become practical for everyday use.

Basically at 300 miles, it really just means road trips take a bit more planning, but otherwise fine for 99% of my personal needs.

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    ...But sorry, I just can't commit to electric (and probably won't until inevitably forced to by the government), because they just don't deliver the convenience, power, economy and endurance of an internal combustion engine. …
    I think you win on convenience but only partially - I'm my electric I never have to visit a gas station or for that matter ever really think about charge level. I plug it in when I get home and unplug it when I go to work. For how I uses it convenience is awesome, but YMMV. As regards power, the electric is a total blast to drive... immediate power even at 50-70mph. After driving electric, ICE cars feel like driving a sponge. I find that when driving in weave traffic I feel the need to manage the ICE cars power so that I can get into spots. When driving electric I never have to think about power, it is point and go. Electrics still have a premium price which balances out if not loses the economy benefits of electric cost vs gas, however the long-term maintenance is practically zero. After 50,000 miles on my electric it still has the original pads and they look new - the car doesn't actually use the brakes until the speed is under 9mph (it uses regeneration otherwise to slow down). On endurance I think electric wins. An electric drive train is almost entirely solid state electronics and it cycles through a much lower temperature range. The engine has fewer total parts, fewer moving parts, and significantly less 'management' systems. One of the learnings from the last 10+ years of electric cars is that the batteries and motors 'endure' longer than ICE systems.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    10353

I put my deposit down days ago for the 500 mile range version

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Has anyone else seen the new Tesla cyber truck design? There's something to familiar to it
    Ugly as s#!t.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast