FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla cybertruck

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    During the launch, it flashed in the background real quick of the inspirations of the design. One of them was the James Bond Lotus. So between that and the stainless panels, I can see why it would be compared to the DeLorean. I just think it's pretty cool that we'll soon have another production vehicle that uses unpainted SS for the majority of the body panels.

If you can get past the looks, the specs are very impressive. Will be interesting to see what the final production version looks like as well.
    He definitely liked that James Bond Lotus: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-submarine-car

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Even with the Cyber Truck's dent-resistant stainless steel skin... "You can't polish a turd."
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Radar will definitely work on this truck. Unless you cover it in radar absorbing material which is very heavy and im not sure the civilian market has it.
    Looks like some of the front panels are at the worst possible angle for that anyway...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Looks like some of the front panels are at the worst possible angle for that anyway...
    Yup, definitely not radar stealth material so no 4,000' altitude night raids over Iraq for that bad boy.

FAIL!

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Interesting little article on Autoblog comparing the stainless panels of the new Cybertruck to the DeLorean and potential issues.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/22/...ss-steel-body/

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Interesting little article on Autoblog comparing the stainless panels of the new Cybertruck to the DeLorean and potential issues.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/22/...ss-steel-body/
    Whole lot of hypotheticals in that article that really just point out problems with the Delorean's stainless panels and misleading info about stainless being heavier

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Whole lot of hypotheticals in that article that really just point out problems with the Delorean's stainless panels and misleading info about stainless being heavier
    It's like a trick SAT question, 'What has the greater mass, 55lbs of mild steel or 55lbs of stainless steel?'
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    03572

Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    specific weight metal and alloy
    metal or alloy weight (kg/dm3)
    stainless steel 7.48 - 8
    rolled steel 7.85

So stainless could be lighter than steel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    "You can't polish a turd."
    Mythbusters did!
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    3182

At least the DMC has some curves to it and the Lotus also as one of my long loved autos.
    It will appeal to some just as full size Hummers do or did.
    I think it design mistake that will go down in history of not using cross spectrum customer feedback groups.
    I also it will sell a lot at first due to being a radical departure from the norm.
    My wife would not like this truck and she gets a vote. She does like a bad ass Jeep even though she never goes off road and she does like the DMC but this just has no style.
    It looks like a tank and will appeal to those who want to drive a tank.

As far as stealth radar speed detection cars those with fiberglass bodies sort or ruled this for a long time and gave you a lot more time/distance but now most enforcement officers do not use radar.
    Yes, it is still used in small towns with smaller budgets. A corvette is as close to invisible as you can get in this world and the older ones where better.
    Radar sees metal, in a vette the radiator, roof supports front plate and headlamps.
    Lidar sees all.

A big part of stealth design is the front and this thing is going to come back very strong. Your DMC probably has a good 300 feet on it our more.
    In that space you have to change speed fast enough that the radar unit thinks your car is a bird and will not lock. This very old trick does not work with newer one shot targeted units.

IMO sales will be crazy fast at first by those who want, followed by a big drop.
    You live in this market by 10 years of sales and loyal customers, not the first 6-12 months.
    Bob
    (I'm sure others will disagree and I really do welcome such views as it expands my thinking)
    Last edited by carbob81; 11-26-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast