FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ballast resistor question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    5791

Ballast resistor question

Hello all,
    Long time lurker....Finally became a owner again on 10/21, VIN#5791. Slowly making my way through the car and my first question has to do with the ballast resistor. The by-pass relay wires are not connected to anything. In all the pictures I have found online, it looks like the relay wires connect directly to the resistor. Not the case here. Hoping someone can shed some light on why I seem to have so many disconnected wires in this area. Thank you!

Also.....what is the best way to get pictures posted directly into the thread? Seems like I'm making it too difficult on myself.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't worry about that bypass relay for now. If you have a fully charged battery the car should start OK without it. When connected and working it bypasses 1/2 of the ballast resistor to give you a hotter spark during starting.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't worry about that bypass relay for now. If you have a fully charged battery the car should start OK without it. When connected and working it bypasses 1/2 of the ballast resistor to give you a hotter spark during starting.
    Good to know. Thank you! Just want to make sure everything is in the right place. The number of wires I come across that are attached to nothing is astounding.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-D View Post
    Hello all,
    Long time lurker....Finally became a owner again on 10/21, VIN#5791. Slowly making my way through the car and my first question has to do with the ballast resistor. The by-pass relay wires are not connected to anything. In all the pictures I have found online, it looks like the relay wires connect directly to the resistor. Not the case here. Hoping someone can shed some light on why I seem to have so many disconnected wires in this area. Thank you!

Also.....what is the best way to get pictures posted directly into the thread? Seems like I'm making it too difficult on myself.
    Hi there and welcome. Here are 2 pictures of the wiring on the ballast resistors to help you get them connected:

There are 3 connected to the right side and one connected to the left side. It is a good time to clean the connectors with 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper.

Also, I would check the condition of your top right wire. The connector looks crispy and the wire next to the connector looks compromised.

Here are 2 threads about posting pictures:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16323-Photos

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?58...uter-to-a-post

Cheers,
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-23-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

It seems like I have the correct color wires in the right places. My issue is that it seems that I have 2 of each one. I have the blue/yellow wire coming out the bottom of the relay and another blue/yellow wire coming from the harness that runs behind the motor. All my wires currently connected to my resistor come from the harness and not from the relay.
    So I'm not sure where all my extra wires end up going.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

It seems like I have the correct color wires in the right places. My issue is that it seems that I have 2 of each one. I have the blue/yellow wire coming out the bottom of the relay and another blue/yellow wire coming from the harness that runs behind the motor. All my wires currently connected to my resistor come from the harness and not from the relay.
    So I'm not sure where all my extra wires end up going.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The white wire in your hand goes to a dual connector on the top right of the ballast resistor, like so:

Here is a picture of how the blue/yellow wire should be connected:

I can't determine the color wire on the discolored connector in your hand. Make sure this green wire is in place:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

Here's a couple extra schematics to help you figure it out.

Ignition circuit.jpgBallast Resistor Connections.jpg

And a clean image of what wires are supposed to be on that ignition relay: https://store.delorean.com/p-6880-re...d-harness.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Here is a picture of how the blue/yellow wire should be connected:
    So the blue/yellow with the clear plastic end connects to the other blue/yellow wire coming out of the harness running behind the motor?

What is this plug in center of the picture supposed to go to? White connector with 1 red and 1 black wire coming out.

Also, if both white wires are supposed to go to the top right post of the resistor, what's the best way to connect them together if I don't have the special little connector to attach them?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Red & Black is for a noise suppression capacitor (1uF iirc). Many don't have them.

Getting a spade terminal splitter (AKA Double Male-Female Adapter) is probably your best bet...you'd regret splicing it later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast