Thread: You may try and talk me out of getting a DeLorean

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    - time
    - money
    - patience
    - mechanical skills
    - a willingness to learn mechanical skills

If you don't have at least two or three of the above, owning a DeLorean or any other 30+ year old car is unlikely to be a a very satisfying experience.

When I bought mine, I'd had a 1987 CRX as a daily driver for my entire adult life. I took it for granted that 30 year old cars could be as reliable as anything else. And they can be, if you're willing to either spend a ton of money up front or spend a ton of money and/or time fixing everything that previous owners have neglected or half-assed. I've driven my DeLorean from one side of the country to the other, and haven't had to call a tow truck by the side of the interstate in 3 years. But I've spent over $20k on top of the original purchase price and a whole lot of my own time and various shops' to get it to that point. Is it worth it? Yeah, but if I had a mortgage payment on a house full of mouths to feed, I would probably feel differently.

To go along with what Rob said, it does sound like you're used to modern cars. A stock DeLorean lacks many of the conveniences of modern cars. It corners like an SR-71, shifts like a tank and brakes like the Titanic. If you aren't prepared for that, you can get yourself in trouble pretty fast. I've had mine out in supercell thunderstorms and blizzards and it performed adequately but are you willing to risk a $30-50k investment on a road full of dumbasses who think having 4wd means they can and should do 90 in a snowstorm? Are you willing to spend $1000+ per year on insurance that will cover a classic car for a total loss as a daily driver? Are you willing to get your hands dirty troubleshooting problems and/or do you have a trustworthy shop that knows these cars or has mechanics willing to learn (and bear in mind that these cars have been known to develop gremlins that can have even experienced DeLorean mechanics tearing their hair out)?

You're the only one who can decide what's right for you. But it does sound like you might be better off buying a Honda. Or pretty much any other car manufactured this century.
    +1

Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Modern cars are forgiving to inattention; this one is not. The vegan thing is stupid. The cows died in 1980. Rumor has it they were drunk on Guiness at the time they were slaughtered.
    Best response ever! Pure wisdom right there, Mr. Chocky!

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well you are going to have to remove the seats and recover and don't forget the steering wheel cow parts removed and recovered with non cow parts lest you bee wrapping your hands around a dead cow part and don't forget if you get a 5 speed, your hand may graze the dead cow part of the shifter boot, so that will have to be removed as well. You will also have to replace the tires with tires that do not contain stearic acid which can be taken from animal products. A lot of the glues used also contain animal products, so you will have to completely disassemble the car and reglue with ??
    ummmm, you know what, never mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    The car may have been assembled by a mutton fed Irishman. Does this matter? 🤔
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Does a vegan interior really matter? If you're buying something with animal products in it, what difference does it make? Seems like buying a steak just to throw it in the garbage, then ordering something vegan. Why not just buy a vegan friendly car to begin with?
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    The vegan thing is stupid. The cows died in 1980. Rumor has it they were drunk on Guiness at the time they were slaughtered.
    I was going to comment on the vegan interior thing but seeing how there are already a lot of responses, I didn't want to beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I was going to comment on the vegan interior thing but seeing how there are already a lot of responses, I didn't want to beat a dead horse.
    Hahahaha. I see what you did there. Lol

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    Hahahaha. I see what you did there. Lol
    I seat what you did there.

Just so we're clear - no one gets to outpun me. No one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I seat what you did there.

Just so we're clear - no one gets to outpun me. No one.
    I think you are trying to "HIDE" the issue.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    I think you are trying to "HIDE" the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

LMAO....you guys are awesome!

My VIN:    5312

Bud i bought my car for 23k before they started shooting up. WOW what a deal! Did all my research etc, and still after buying i ended spending 8.5k the first 3 months for work to be done. Another 3k a month later for modern upgrades, and the list goes on. If you are ocd as well this car will irritate you, you will notice every imperfection. Trust me when i say these cars were built in ireland, and every one is a little bit diffferent. The doors close feel is different in every car, some seem to handle better than others, Ive driven 5 and each one has been... quite a bit different. If you are buying a K jet car, be prepared to read on the fuel system, understanding how it works on a basic level, and know that you cannot skip on maintenance or worse let the car sit for a few months and not start it. I know alot of people are saying the negatives, and i think the positives far out weight them, but they are needing to be acknowledged. Go read the general section and read peples threads who are having issues with thier cars. Like others have said, MOST issues can be solved quite easily if you have them, some , no amount of googling will help, but I will say this community is VERY big on helping other owners. the best thing youc an do, is buy the best possible car you can, not one that will need extensive work, just to save yourself 10 or 15k as you will spend double that plus time and headache. Wish you best of luck man.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    6125

I was reading through this thread more thoroughly and found myself thinking of how it's basically a microcosm of DMCTalk in general. Lots of genuinely helpful information mixed in with a good dose of sarcasm and humor.

MrChocky, from your questions it seems like you have put a great deal of thought into purchasing a DeLorean. Rather than going line by line and rehashing all the other posts, I'll simply say this: If you really want a DeLorean (and can afford one) get one! It sounds like it's something you're passionate about and that makes a big difference vs someone who is casually interested in owning one. All of the other details are important but I wouldn't call any of your concerns deal breakers. You seem like you're willing to learn as you go which also helps a lot. There will be unexpected issues that come up that you'll need to research and troubleshoot. Luckily for all of us, there is a great community of owners who are willing to go out of their way to help each other out.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I've driven all over the country and even overseas. CA is definitely the most aggressive, by a long way. I used to live in San Diego county and it's gone from busy much of the time to busy all of the time.

The Bay Area is bad - people driving too fast, always in a hurry, and the street I live just off, people like to drive down the middle turn section, and once in a while, set cars on fire.

San Francisco itself is a whole other thing - the number of personal modes of travel now is mind-boggling - like something out of the Jetsons. Driving there takes a lot of patience - endless
    construction, expensive/impossible to find parking. I avoid driving if at all possible there. Probably not as bad as London or Manhattan, but still.
    So opinions of course will differ about the SF Bay Area and The City in particular. I've driven our D all over the West Coast. We take it to San Francisco several times a year, sometimes monthly. There's never been a problem, even on the hills.

Yes, there are neighborhoods and areas around here with rutted/busted pavement that a DeLorean isn't happy to be on. Some of them are certainly in your area.

There are lots of long-time D owners in the NCDMC club who can perhaps add their views on the Bay Area scene. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to discuss the local aspects further.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-27-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Yes, get a DeLorean. Then put a real engine in it.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast