FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: You may try and talk me out of getting a DeLorean

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I see it a little differently. Yes he posted to get everyone's attention but that is the point of posting in the first place.
    True.

Young people think differently and those in La La land think even more differently.
    I'm Gen X. Does that make me young? I don't know. Depends on your age, I guess.

Especially the ones that don't eat meat. To them it isn't just about diet, it is a way of life, kind of like a religion.
    Not entirely true, but close enough.

He has friends and wants to impress them with his commitment to being vegan.
    For better or worse, not true.

It is not about the car as much. Anyone buying a Delorean that has a young family and asks if he can put a child seat in the car knows what he is doing is highly impractical in the first place. But this is how they think. At least this is how I see it.
    It's about the car. For those who've missed it, my assumption had been that 40 year old seats would have suffered a lot of wear and tear and might need recovering. This seems to be at least partially true in some cases, and I'd only be looking for options in this particular case. I won't subject anyone here to my opinions about what I choose to consume; it's not the forum, and I'm not that person.

As for the car seat - indeed, the laws about this are quite strong and complex. For good reasons (as an aside, I did see the 4 seater D) - the question was only about stowage when not in use.

To some extent, I had expected this kind of razzing. I am atypical in many respects, and that's sometimes objectionable to people; and every hobby has gatekeepers. So be it.

In the meantime, 2 local owners have kindly offered to show me and talk about their car. I have a lot of reading to do.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Thanks for clarifying things. Everyone has their reasons for owning an old car. Trying to read your thoughts by reading your posts is a stretch and I gave it try. Yes, you are young from my prospective. I am not trying to talk you out of your decision, I only try to give you some facts to help you make a better informed choice. Seeing some Deloreans and talking to the owners is an excellent idea. Just be aware that their cars may not be pristine examples of the Marque. In any case you will get useful information. BTW. the leather that was used in the car was premium leather and if it was not abused it can be in very good condition and if it isn't there are ways to repair and dye it to make it look like new. Worst case you can buy new leather covers or you can go to an upholstery shop and have them custom made out of vinyl or cloth. You can also get seat covers to just cover it up (a lot less expensive). The bigger problem, if the leather is bad, the binnacle will probably also be bad. That also suffers from the same sun damage and is a lot of money to fix. Then there are the headliners. Heat and age damages the foam that binds the cloth to the backers and needs to be replaced. A lot depends on your budget. The more you can afford to spend the better the car you will get, the less repairs you will need to do. Always try to buy the best car you can afford. It is cheaper in the end (and faster to enjoy too). Besides, (reading your mind again) it sounds like you aren't buying the car because you are handy at fixing things. But there is no reason you can't learn to do some of the more simple things. That is what this forum is all about.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Rumor has it, when a DeLorean owner passes, they are reunited with their cow on the rainbow Bridge of Weir.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Thanks for clarifying things. Everyone has their reasons for owning an old car. Trying to read your thoughts by reading your posts is a stretch and I gave it try. Yes, you are young from my prospective.
    Moving off your lawn, sir!

Besides, (reading your mind again) it sounds like you aren't buying the car because you are handy at fixing things. But there is no reason you can't learn to do some of the more simple things. That is what this forum is all about.
    I am handy. Interiors and electronics and the dash for that matter are probably right up my alley. What I haven't done is any of the things we traditionally associated with a mechanic - any kind of engine work, or most of the types of things people in these forums are listing to do on their cars. It doesn't worry me, but it's a great deal to learn.

But thank you, I appreciate the continued input.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I see it a little differently. Yes he posted to get everyone's attention but that is the point of posting in the first place. Young people think differently and those in La La land think even more differently. Especially the ones that don't eat meat. To them it isn't just about diet, it is a way of life, kind of like a religion. He has friends and wants to impress them with his commitment to being vegan. It is not about the car as much. Anyone buying a Delorean that has a young family and asks if he can put a child seat in the car knows what he is doing is highly impractical in the first place. But this is how they think. At least this is how I see it.
    Wow. What a boat load of presumptive, ignorant, and condescending tripe. You well and truly are one of the most self-absorbed jerks that I have ever met.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I am handy. Interiors and electronics and the dash for that matter are probably right up my alley. What I haven't done is any of the things we traditionally associated with a mechanic - any kind of engine work, or most of the types of things people in these forums are listing to do on their cars. It doesn't worry me, but it's a great deal to learn.
    There is no real difference in what you are used to, except for the messy petroleum products...and maybe the bulk/weight sometimes. Just puzzles to play with.
    I sense you are probably hooked already and that you will know for sure after you meet up with the two local owners...

(One tip on reading the manual- A control pressure regulator (CPR) and a warm up regulator (WUR) are the same thing. And some of it covers K-Jet Basic, which does not have the DeLorean's Lambda system... If something seems wrong, it probably is -- Ask.)

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My first post was 11 years ago on the old site and most were encouraging although I made my mind up and wasn't asking any questions as if I were dipping my toe in the water to check the temp. A user named "JimJam" was on me like a pit bull on a poodle, doing his best to tell me how I would be cursed in the fiery pits of hell if I were to buy a DeLorean and what a disappoint it would be. My wife was scared but I wasn't phased and in less than 2 months after my first post I bought one. Still have it, still love it. You hear me Jim Jam? Just because you had a troublesome car doesn't mean they all are.

Some people come here mind made up cash in hand, some come looking to be sold, like wondering in a car showroom waiting for a salesman to pump them full of the warm fuzzies. They have either pondered the decision and want someone to push them across the line or they are just curious about it and want an informed person to give them the lay of the land before they go any further with the decision process. It's all good. I sometimes forget that and I need to realize everyone is different in their "journey".
    I haven't been around long enough to have witnessed your beginning posts, but it's really hard to imagine anyone giving you crap about becoming an owner. The first thing I saw wasn't your car, it was your Millennium Falcon(....holy wow!) Not surprised when I saw pics of your car, it's super awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I haven't been around long enough to have witnessed your beginning posts, but it's really hard to imagine anyone giving you crap about becoming an owner. The first thing I saw wasn't your car, it was your Millennium Falcon(....holy wow!) Not surprised when I saw pics of your car, it's super awesome.
    I don't think he knew how to take Jim Jam... He must of missed his sig saying something like, "Working on a DeLorean is like frying bacon naked!" -- Says a lot.
    Or perhaps...a bit too quick to judge??

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't think he knew how to take Jim Jam... He must of missed his sig saying something like, "Working on a DeLorean is like frying bacon naked!" -- Says a lot.
    Or perhaps...a bit too quick to judge??
    Michael is witty & handsome....that totally trumps a dude who fries bacon while naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Michael is witty & handsome....that totally trumps a dude who fries bacon while naked.
    OK, I guess it depends on what you are searching for...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast