FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4519: 14-year "garage find"

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I'm planning to send the intact RPM relay from the car, I was wondering if you have a use for that spare one with the cover missing.
    Yes I may have a few extra covers since occasionally I get a return with a broken guide pin around the connector.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4519

DMCH verified my key code[s,] so I was able to confirm the door writing is accurate.

I wanted to confirm because the PO had replaced the ignition switch assembly, I wanted to make sure the proper code is written on the door for future generations. The PO thought he recalled swapping the cylinders; I verified the ignition key worked in all locks, so we figured his memory to be correct. I think the switch portion was bad but he bought the whole assembly and swapped the cylinders versus changing all the locks.

I have the previous assembly with matching key; I'm pretty sure the switch portion is bad, but the [NLA] assembly is good, and the ignition cylinder & key are new.

1206191759a.jpg

DMCH verified my key code[s,] so I was able to confirm the door writing is accurate.

I wanted to confirm because the PO had replaced the ignition switch assembly, I wanted to make sure the proper code is written on the door for future generations. The PO thought he recalled swapping the cylinders; I verified the ignition key worked in all locks, so we figured his memory to be correct. I think the switch portion was bad but he bought the whole assembly and swapped the cylinders versus changing all the locks.

I have the previous assembly with matching key; I'm pretty sure the switch portion is bad, but the [NLA] assembly is good, and the ignition cylinder & key are new.

1206191759a.jpg

Today I removed the steering canopy, preparing to replace the missing knurled inserts. While in there, I looked at the ignition lock assembly. I'm thinking the PO might not have replaced any part of it and he bought the spare assembly preparing to replace it but he (or his mechanic) got stuck trying to figure out how to remove the cylinder, reassembled the canopy, and tried a bunch of spray (which ultimately worked.). The ignition lock has a lot of lock-eze type spray, and it works fine. The canopy had been removed at some point, and the black trim cap is missing.

1207191724c.jpg

Tonite I tested everything electrical that I was able to test (in its non-running state.) When I first viewed the car there was no battery in it, so I ran 25' jumper cables from my vehicle outside the garage to the battery compartment. I tested most things at that time, but forgot a bunch of stuff as well.

Testing each fused circuit, I found some things not working properly:

-The rear defogger switch feels broken
    -Driver's side window appears to be off track (both motors run, switches are a bit flaky)
    -Door plunger switches are a little flaky (I had the same issue on 10372 & 4728, cleaning the contacts fixed it)
    -The antenna doesn't go up, but I hear the motor run when I turn on the radio
    -No reverse lights
    -One brake light bulb out
    -Console clock doesn't work (cigar lighter works)

The horns work, but they're OEM.....I had forgotten how ridiculous they sound.
    The radio works and so do [at least] one front & one rear speaker, but I really couldn't tell (sitting in the passenger seat) if all 4 work or not. I didn't take any time to figure out how the "balance" function works (or if there is one) on the Craig radio.

Hey! We're Delorean cousins. Glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves. I've got a lot of spare parts from many past parts cars. If you need something and can't find it let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Hey! We're Delorean cousins. Glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves. I've got a lot of spare parts from many past parts cars. If you need something and can't find it let me know and I'll see what I can find.
    Thanks Erik!

Your VIN is the closest I've seen to one of mine...glad to meet you.

My VIN:    10201

-No reverse lights
    I know on mine the problem with the reverse lights was the old taillight boards and not the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I know on mine the problem with the reverse lights was the old taillight boards and not the switch.
    I need to get into the housings anyway, so I'll check that first....thanks!

My VIN:    3937

Your THIRD resto, Rich?!?! It all started innocently enough, didn't it?

Tonite I tested everything electrical that I was able to test (in its non-running state.) When I first viewed the car there was no battery in it, so I ran 25' jumper cables from my vehicle outside the garage to the battery compartment. I tested most things at that time, but forgot a bunch of stuff as well.

Testing each fused circuit, I found some things not working properly:

-The rear defogger switch feels broken
    -Driver's side window appears to be off track (both motors run, switches are a bit flaky)
    -Door plunger switches are a little flaky (I had the same issue on 10372 & 4728, cleaning the contacts fixed it)
    -The antenna doesn't go up, but I hear the motor run when I turn on the radio
    -No reverse lights
    -Console clock doesn't work (cigar lighter works)

The horns work, but they're OEM.....I had forgotten how ridiculous they sound.
    The radio works and so do [at least] one front & one rear speaker, but I really couldn't tell (sitting in the passenger seat) if all 4 work or not. I didn't take any time to figure out how the "balance" function works (or if there is one) on the Craig radio.
    I didn't have even close to enough patience to get those little bits back together inside a broken defrogger switch. But it's apparently doable. Here's the instructions.

DefrosterSwitch.pdfRepair the rear defrost switch (French forum).pdf

And the Craig radio manual... I thought I had something that would show that. I guess I don't. I have this service manual, but it's a mess of electrical diagrams and not much useful for explaining the knobs. The knob on the right is the fade one (front to back), left knob is balance (left to right). I think it's either a rear collar on each knob that does the secondary function or you pull for one and push for the other. I haven't had my Craig in the car for years!!

Craig Service Manual.pdf

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Your THIRD resto, Rich?!?! It all started innocently enough, didn't it?

I didn't have even close to enough patience to get those little bits back together inside a broken defrogger switch. But it's apparently doable. Here's the instructions.

DefrosterSwitch.pdfRepair the rear defrost switch (French forum).pdf

And the Craig radio manual... I thought I had something that would show that. I guess I don't. I have this service manual, but it's a mess of electrical diagrams and not much useful for explaining the knobs. The knob on the right is the fade one (front to back), left knob is balance (left to right). I think it's either a rear collar on each knob that does the secondary function or you pull for one and push for the other. I haven't had my Craig in the car for years!!

Craig Service Manual.pdf

Pretty crazy, right? I couldn't pass on this one....it's really nice.

I hope to start making progress on it soon, tonight a friend came over to relocate the sunshade louvre for me. I'm only able to use only my left arm while my right shoulder recovers from surgery. The louvre was sitting in place, unattached, from when it was removed for transporting. Now that it's moved, I can get into the engine bay and try doing some one-handed work.

Thanks for the manuals, I'll try working on the defogger switch this winter. The Craig manual is pretty in-depth for sure, wow!

I was able to adjust the fader and it appears the passenger side speakers both work (and sound pretty good, actually,) but neither of the driver's side work. I'm not sure which is more odd; that both passenger speakers work, or that only the driver's side doesn't....lol.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast