FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: VIN 4519: 14-year "garage find"

My VIN:    Formerly 10372, currently 4728 & 4519

Great info, thanks Jonathan! I like those wire clips you have....definitely would be a good score to find some.
    Livin' the dream....

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check for looseness (play) in the ends of the quadrant link. When you get a lot of play it doesn't keep the throttle arm against the stop and the idle will increase as the throttle plates open. ~snip~ Make sure the throttle spool is not sticking. You may have to take it apart, clean it up, regrease it and reassemble. The 30 year old grease gets like glue and prevents the spool from moving easily. ~snip~

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    ~snip~ Each end of that linkage has a small nut that you use to tighten it down once you're finished adjusting things. The reason both ends can be adjusted, and rotate opposite ways, is so that you don't have to make a full 360 degree thread adjustment all at once. ~snip~.

Today I revisited my idle hunting/idle increasing issue. I familiarized with the quadrant link adjustment and adjusted it by loosening both nuts & turning the rod. Although I did find a bit of "play" in the linkage (some of it where the stud connects to the throttle arm,) I decided to try to isolate the idle increase with the quadrant link detached to remove the throttle spool from the equation.

I'm seeing the throttle arm itself sticking a bit; I think it's the linkage or spring, not the throttle plates (I checked the springs & cleaned inside there.) I'm working on cleaning & lubing the throttle arm spring, but ran out of time today so I wasn't able to finish.

For whatever reason, the idle hunt has improved greatly...the car ran really nice today with minimal hunting.
    Livin' the dream....

My VIN:    2706

Bad ass

I haven't done anything with 4519 since removing the front brakes. I have new parts, including Dave's idle ECU but haven't installed anything.

I got it running, and likely only need to rebuild the brakes & clutch hydraulics, but still haven't moved forward. Having two cars means twice as much work and I think I have a mental block from being somewhat overwhelmed. It's also a pain in the ass because I have limited space. I think when I'm back to having only one car, I'll be back in my power-groove.

Now that driving season is here, I'm driving 4728 frequently so I don't want to sell it yet. I think I'll pick one small task per week for 4519 and get the brakes & clutch finished over the next few months. Once I can drive it in & out of the garage I'll probably have a fresh perspective, and list 4728 at the end of the summer.
    Livin' the dream....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12