FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4519: 14-year "garage find"

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Great info....thanks Dave!

I found two in my spare parts, the part number matches the one you posted. I'll compare and/or swap with the one currently installed.

While looking through parts, I also came across the instructions for a solid state McKeen RPM relay I bought for my first DeLorean (10372.) :-)

BTW, I also found a new Bosch relay: 0332209150. It has a black plastic housing with tab...what is that one for?
    I'm not sure if this would be the same as the one you've got there, but some of DeLoGO's replacement relays are black plastic with the tab backing like you've described...

https://www.deloreango.com/ca/lambda-probe-relay.html

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm not sure if this would be the same as the one you've got there, but some of DeLoGO's replacement relays are black plastic with the tab backing like you've described...

https://www.deloreango.com/ca/lambda-probe-relay.html
    That looks very similar, yes....thanks!

Today was productive:

-Replaced the accumulator (need to revisit...wrong size hoses.)
    -Removed the W-pipe to inspect the springs...looks good.
    -Removed all 4 wheels, preparing for brake rebuild.
    -Swapped the Lambda ECU.
    -Learned a lot about Lambda behavior/confirmed some things I've been studying in the TM (thanks Dave!)

There is a definite improvement, but I still need to diagnose a few things. The cold start, warm-up, and warm idle behaviors have all changed.

Cold start: starts and idles smooth, but high RPM's (2000-2200) for a few minutes.

Warm-up: idle hunts like mad.

Warm idle: idles fairly steady, but hunts following any change (i.e. revving, adjusting idle screw...etc.)

I think the CO is out of adjustment; likely adjusted when the PO had running issues. Once I'm sure the Lambda system is on track, I'll try adjusting the CO.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 01-25-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The 0332209150 relay will work for most of the others.
    Look on the side of it for a schematic. They will match.
    I've seen several used for the ignition resistor by-pass...

Initial Brake Inspection

Today I pulled the wheels for the first time and began spraying things. I really like rebuilding/restoring the brake system, it's fairly easy & inexpensive work with a major visual impact. I get a great motivational boost from the before & after.

A few things I noticed:

-The passenger side caliper has a different finish than the driver side.
    -The angle drive has a cover on it, I recently read about them but didn't realize this car has one. FWIW, I believe the angle drive to be stock and functional.
    -There are some areas that are rustier than I expected. Everything is solid, and I'll easily be able to address it. Some areas seem much rustier than others, luckily it appears to be from water only (not road salt.)

0125201620a.jpg0125201621a.jpg0125201621b.jpg0125201622.jpg0125201622a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The 0332209150 relay will work for most of the others.
    Look on the side of it for a schematic. They will match.
    I've seen several used for the ignition resistor by-pass...
    Thanks Ron, it's new in the box....I'll keep it on hand.

I'm wondering about some other relays I have....maybe you can help:

4728 and 4519 both came with a bunch of relays and breakers. I'm guessing they were the OEM units that were swapped out.

I'm wondering if it was common practice to [arbitrarily] swap out all the OEM relays, and if so....why?

I'd like to determine if the pile of relays I have are worth keeping, if I should test them, and how to test them.

Thanks!

4728 and 4519 both came with a bunch of relays and breakers. I'm guessing they were the OEM units that were swapped out.

I'm wondering if it was common practice to [arbitrarily] swap out all the OEM relays, and if so....why?

I'd like to determine if the pile of relays I have are worth keeping, if I should test them, and how to test them.

Thanks!
    If the schematics are the same they will work as long as the Amp rate is high enough. The numbers can tell you that, along with mounting, etc. Dipped Beam, Main Beam, Fan 3rd Speed, Fan 4th Speed, Cooling Fan, Start Inhibit, AC Illumination are the same.

Bosch makes good relays, but it is common to replace them because they are decades old now.

One way to test them is with a couple of bulbs and a battery:
    0332209150RELAY 0332209150.jpg
    The schematic on the side of a relay shows its normal position.
    Normally the contacts connect 30 to 87A.
    Light 1 (L1) would burn.
    If you close the switch, the coil (85 & 86) will energize and move the contacts to make 30 connect to 87.
    L1 will go off and L2 will come on.

My VIN:    3937

Thanks!
    Hey Rich,

Wanted to mention one other thing in case it wasn't already known... you know that decal in the fuse and relay area that says not to interchange modules? It means that most of those generic relays are all the same with the exception of the lambda relay in position 31 on the diagram. It is part number 101071 yet all the others are the same (including the ignition resistor bypass relay in the engine bay). The 7 in the fuse and relay area plus the 1 in the engine bay are part number 106269 (for the 7) and part number 108640 (for the single one near the ballast resistor). They are all the same part though. Except the lambda relay (101071). Make sure you swap that one like for like.

And of course the other relays or timers in that fuse and relay area are different too (fan fail, lights dimmer, etc.). I mean those other relays that look all the same.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Relay footprint

Here is a nice data sheet on relays. It has a lot more info than most which I why I keep it.
    Attached Files
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Here is a nice data sheet on relays. It has a lot more info than most which I why I keep it.
    Good info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hey Rich,

Wanted to mention one other thing in case it wasn't already known... you know that decal in the fuse and relay area that says not to interchange modules? It means that most of those generic relays are all the same with the exception of the lambda relay in position 31 on the diagram. It is part number 101071 yet all the others are the same (including the ignition resistor bypass relay in the engine bay). The 7 in the fuse and relay area plus the 1 in the engine bay are part number 106269 (for the 7) and part number 108640 (for the single one near the ballast resistor). They are all the same part though. Except the lambda relay (101071). Make sure you swap that one like for like.

And of course the other relays or timers in that fuse and relay area are different too (fan fail, lights dimmer, etc.). I mean those other relays that look all the same.
    Funny you mention this, I was thinking the exact thing when I was looking through my relays and looking at the decal...lol.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast