FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN 4519: 14-year "garage find"

My VIN:    4519

Is there a way to test the lambda relay? I want to be sure I have the proper unit. The car came with a bunch of relays, so I'm sure some/all have been changed.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Is there a way to test the lambda relay? I want to be sure I have the proper unit. The car came with a bunch of relays, so I'm sure some/all have been changed.
    A standard relay has pin 87a connected to pin 30 just testing with an ohmmeter. The lambda relay will not be connected with those pins.

The OEM lambda relay is a BOSCH 0332015012 12V 2x 15A
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A standard relay has pin 87a connected to pin 30 just testing with an ohmmeter. The lambda relay will not be connected with those pins.

The OEM lambda relay is a BOSCH 0332015012 12V 2x 15A
    Great info....thanks Dave!

I found two in my spare parts, the part number matches the one you posted. I'll compare and/or swap with the one currently installed.

While looking through parts, I also came across the instructions for a solid state McKeen RPM relay I bought for my first DeLorean (10372.) :-)

BTW, I also found a new Bosch relay: 0332209150. It has a black plastic housing with tab...what is that one for?
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 01-25-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Great info....thanks Dave!

I found two in my spare parts, the part number matches the one you posted. I'll compare and/or swap with the one currently installed.

While looking through parts, I also came across the instructions for a solid state McKeen RPM relay I bought for my first DeLorean (10372.) :-)

BTW, I also found a new Bosch relay: 0332209150. It has a black plastic housing with tab...what is that one for?
    Make sure all 5 pins on the lambda relay socket are seated.

I don't know what that other Bosch relay would be for but most likely is just a standard relay.
    Dave M vin 03572

The relay is proper and appears to be making good contact. I hear the relay click when I jumper the RPM socket and there's 12 v on one side of the FV plug (ground on the other.) Swapping relays and the FV...no change.

I'm taking a break to replace the accumulator & pull the wheels while I digest what I've learned so far.

The relay is proper and appears to be making good contact. I hear the relay click when I jumper the RPM socket and there's 12 v on one side of the FV plug (ground on the other.) Swapping relays and the FV...no change.

I'm taking a break to replace the accumulator & pull the wheels while I digest what I've learned so far.
    It's rare the lambda ECU goes bad but it's looking like that may be your problem. Another common problem is the two grounds for the lambda come through the bulkhead and have to get connected to the engine block.
    Dave M vin 03572

It's rare the lambda ECU goes bad but it's looking like that may be your problem. Another common problem is the two grounds for the lambda come through the bulkhead and have to get connected to the engine block.
    Thanks Dave,
    I'll swap the lambda ECU & test again before moving on.

I replaced the Lambda ECU; the Frequency Valve buzzes now with the RPM relay jumped, key in the off position.

I swapped back to confirm the ECU is the issue. I also noticed it wasn't necessary to ground the ECU to make the FV buzz.

So far, that's a bad Idle ECU and a bad Lambda ECU on a very clean, well-maintained, 26K mile car.....makes me think there was some sort of an electrical mishap like jumpstarted backwards or something like that.

Tese findings appear to jive with things the PO remembered when the car was running, and could explain why the fuel system didn't appear to be totally trashed.

I've been studying the TM and schematics; it appears I don't have much more to address in the Lambda system, I'll be prepared to replace the O2 sensor if necessary. I'll soon assess with a dwell reading.

Hoping to change the accumulator today, but will be working with 1.5 arms.

I replaced the Lambda ECU; the Frequency Valve buzzes now with the RPM relay jumped, key in the off position.

I swapped back to confirm the ECU is the issue. I also noticed it wasn't necessary to ground the ECU to make the FV buzz.

So far, that's a bad Idle ECU and a bad Lambda ECU on a very clean, well-maintained, 26K mile car.....makes me think there was some sort of an electrical mishap like jumpstarted backwards or something like that.
    I was just thinking maybe the PO had a bad alternator that put out to much voltage. Is there a battery disconnect switch? It's very bad if the battery disconnects with the engine running.
    Dave M vin 03572

I was just thinking maybe the PO had a bad alternator that put out to much voltage. Is there a battery disconnect switch? It's very bad if the battery disconnects with the engine running.
    He mentioned there used to be be a battery disconnect switch when he was driving it, but didn't say why he removed it.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast