FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Biig motor

My VIN:    3182

Biig motor

What is the biggest motor stuffed into one of these.
    I've put a 512 inch big block into a Opel GT for a friend.
    A twin turbo Grand National motor fits easily but is not a torque monster and being from Flint I know that motor very well along with it's Indy car version.
    Anyone put so called monster motors in these? Yes the fit is a problem, the trans will not be happy, and the weight but surely someone has done it.

Mine's a turbo add on but it just does not go fast. I hate to hack it up but..........
    Small block swap, no thanks.
    What does it take to get pass the 200 mph in this car and will it be stable? My motorcycles can do this so for sure my car should.

A 500 to 600 inch motor is way street drive-able on the low end while making the top end run.
    Bob
    Last edited by carbob81; 11-26-2019 at 11:10 PM.

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by carbob81 View Post
    What is the biggest motor stuffed into one of these.
    I've put a 512 inch big block into a Opel GT for a friend.
    A twin turbo Grand National motor fits easily but is not a torque monster and being from Flint I know that motor very well along with it's Indy car version.
    Anyone put so called monster motors in these? Yes the fit is a problem, the trans will not be happy, and the weight but surely someone has done it.

Mine's a turbo add on but it just does not go fast. I hate to hack it up but..........
    Small block swap, no thanks.
    What does it take to get pass the 200 mph in this car and will it be stable? My motorcycles can do this so for sure my car should.
    Bob
    What does it take?...Money. That can make anything fast. Ls swap has been done I know and I think One with a porch trans and LS has also been done.

"With enough money you can make a road racer out of a coffee table". (that is a very old quote and not mine)
    More wondering who has tried it and how it worked out.Still I do not want to hack up the car but it is sort of boring even with the turbo.
    A buck fourty and it will not come out of the hole. Not the car where you tape a 50 on the dash and tell the passenger that it they can grab in the first 3 gears they get to keep it.
    The only reason I love it as that it is mine and never see selling it. Plenty of memories since I owed it since day one.
    Can it be made into a supercar and run with the new?

The thing with this car is that everyone you encounter thinks it is fast and it is not.
    In standard trim a box stock Camaro or Firebird of the same year will out run it from a stop light or top end. It does not live up to it's looks.
    I do so much love the car but 20 large spent in hope of more.
    Bob
    Last edited by carbob81; 11-26-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by carbob81 View Post
    "With enough money you can make a road racer out of a coffee table". (that is a very old quote and not mine)
    More wondering who has tried it and how it worked out.
    I made a coffee table in woodshop. It worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I made a coffee table in woodshop. It worked out well.
    Mike, obvious that you do not drive in my world. Please put a little try on not to be an ass.
    You just simply look silly and it does you no credit.

Speak to the question. It is maybe a bad idea. Poke at that.
    Bob
    Last edited by carbob81; 11-27-2019 at 12:04 AM.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Here's a v12 in mine. It's only 5 liters and 300hp so not the biggest displacement but definitely the most cylinders.

Honestly it's only a mock up, but maybe one day.

20190508_205900.jpg

Being a rear engined car I doubt you'll find anyone has put a big block in a Delorean especially nowadays. Stock weight distribution is terrible, why make it worse?

If you want make a 200mph Bonneville car the last thing you'd want is 700lbs hanging off the ass. With some areo work and probably 600+hp sure you could get it up that fast, not much interest in that in this Community.

A better way to get to 200mph would be with something like this engine below, the monster PRV based engine built by Venturi for their LeMans race car that still holds the record on the Mulsanne straight.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by vwdmc16; 11-27-2019 at 12:35 AM.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

My VIN:    10201

We really got the ugly duckling of the prv.

If you want it to be supercar fast, just put a turboed Honda k engine with a porsche transmission.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Sky's the limit with enough $$$$$ but I would NOT want to be inside a DMC-12 going anywhere near 200mph. A fast one with 300-400hp? Sure. We'll see what happens if the "new" Delorean ever gets produced.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Who is “waiting” on new DeLoreans? Not me! Modern EFI PRV twin turbos, also available with liquid intercoolers and methanol injection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast