FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch Noise Issues

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Clutch Noise Issues

When I purchased my car a while back the PO said they replaced the clutch 7+ years ago. I asked this because when I bought her I did notice a noise coming from the Trans whenever I pressed / engaged the clutch to switch gears. There was no resistance or problems going into and out of gear just a fast spinning humming noise when I pressed / engaged the clutch pedal. Now all of a sudden (yes I should have paid more attention to the noise and been more proactive at figuring out what it was) whenever I press / engage the clutch I hear a loud whining noises coming from the rear like a very loud loose belt and it is harder to get back into gear. There is also a faint smell I never had before which all cannot be good. I checked the fluid and it was full. I honestly do not know much about trans but really don’t want to drive my car until the problem can be properly diagnosed. With a limited number of Delorean UN1 Trans people in the area that I trust fooling around with the trans I figured I would ask here what everyone’s thoughts or suspicions would be to help me diagnose the problem while I search for someone local who is familiar with these trans. Any and all input and help is appreciated.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

My VIN:    3771

Sounds to me like your clutch release bearing failed and probably even disintegrated. No other choice but to remove the gearbox and replace all damaged components (I guess the pressure plate spring suffered too). Pressing the clutch pedal with engine running will only make things worse.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    Sounds to me like your clutch release bearing failed and probably even disintegrated. No other choice but to remove the gearbox and replace all damaged components (I guess the pressure plate spring suffered too). Pressing the clutch pedal with engine running will only make things worse.
    +1. Sometimes the bearing just wears out, but if the car was in the elements (rain etc.) in its past, the water can drain over the bearing, making it rust prematurely. If the clutch fork bellows are missing or misaligned, it makes this process worse.

One piece of advice when you are in there: I was advised by a seasoned DeLorean mechanic to apply a 50/50 mixture of antisieze and bearing grease to the bearing, input shaft and the clutch pivot ball. Doing so helps prevent future corrosion and makes the clutch action smooth and quiet. It is also a great time to inspect your clutch fork for any corrosion issues.

Here are two pictures of the bearing with silver colored mixture applied and bellows seal/ flap:

The bellows is the black rubber flap on the top of the clutch fork.

If it helps, I have lots of other pictures and comments in the Manual Transmission repair & restoration album in my profile.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Dana, I don't mean to be rude, but you shouldn't use antiseize on the shaft, particularly not on pilot bushings/bearing surface. It is made for slow-moving, extremely high-contact and high-pressure applications -- Its high solid(s) content will cause parts to jam. Lots of warnings on this...

Antiseize (graphite) is the last thing you want near the clutch plate surfaces.

High-Cling lube is best. Smear it on, work the parts together then lightly wipe off excess leaving a THIN flim...

======

Sounds like the bearing may have locked up and burning the clutch fingers, giving the odd smell...

My VIN:    5051

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    When I purchased my car a while back the PO said they replaced the clutch 7+ years ago. I asked this because when I bought her I did notice a noise coming from the Trans whenever I pressed / engaged the clutch to switch gears. There was no resistance or problems going into and out of gear just a fast spinning humming noise when I pressed / engaged the clutch pedal. Now all of a sudden (yes I should have paid more attention to the noise and been more proactive at figuring out what it was) whenever I press / engage the clutch I hear a loud whining noises coming from the rear like a very loud loose belt and it is harder to get back into gear. There is also a faint smell I never had before which all cannot be good. I checked the fluid and it was full. I honestly do not know much about trans but really don’t want to drive my car until the problem can be properly diagnosed. With a limited number of Delorean UN1 Trans people in the area that I trust fooling around with the trans I figured I would ask here what everyone’s thoughts or suspicions would be to help me diagnose the problem while I search for someone local who is familiar with these trans. Any and all input and help is appreciated.
    At the end of the day no matter what you will be dropping the gearbox at best it is just a clutch job. Don't what to think about the worst. You put eyes on it to know whats up but I would not even start it until I did that. Hope it is minor!
    If the sound changed when you applied the clutch then it is most likely a clutch component.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Dana, I don't mean to be rude, but you shouldn't use antiseize on the shaft, particularly not on pilot bushings/bearing surface. It is made for slow-moving, extremely high-contact and high-pressure applications -- Its high solid(s) content will cause parts to jam. Lots of warnings on this...

Antiseize (graphite) is the last thing you want near the clutch plate surfaces.

High-Cling lube is best. Smear it on, work the parts together then lightly wipe off excess leaving a THIN flim...

======

Sounds like the bearing may have locked up and burning the clutch fingers, giving the odd smell...
    Hi Ron, no worries. It was Rob Grady that advised to use that mixture, and agreed, a thin film is what you want here as well. It is not pure anti seize, I agree, using that pure compound wouldn't be advisable in this application. It's a mixture with bearing grease, and from what I can tell, it gives the grease the "high cling" properties. Rob said that he found this mixture to be the longest lasting in this area. My experience with it has been good so far.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)