FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Key codes

My VIN:    4519

Key codes

I want to verify the key code for my car; it appears the tumbler was re-keyed, I want to make sure the key code under the headliner is accurate.

The PO gave me the original assembly (ignition switch/tumbler/column thing) with a matching key, as well as two keys to the car that work in the ignition, doors, and storage compartment.

IIRC, James Upset Epsey can decode a key using a pic....can anyone who has done this confirm/deny that is correct? Can all the DMC vendors do it, or only James?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can put the key in a photocopy machine and print out the key. Scan it and send it to James to decode. Other locksmiths should also be capable of decoding this way too. You can try Jesser Keys but DMCH will have the correct blank, other locksmiths may only have generic blanks. The code was also on a small round sticker on the underside of the steering column but you usually won't find it anymore. If your car is an early car and it had a 2 key system and was converted to the 1 key system, the codes you find will not be correct anymore. If you still have the 2 key system, parts are NLA but they may still be cutting keys for it. I don't think the other vendors decode, they send it to a locksmith.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16409

I had James decode my key before. I just took a picture of the key and emailed it to James at DMC. He cut a new key and it worked perfect. My original key was so worn down it didn't even resemble the new key. I didn't think the new key was going to work but it did just fine. Some locksmiths can cut keys to code too.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

James decoded mine from a photo as well.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Excellent info, thanks for the responses.

I'll get a pic of both keys (previous and current,) as well as the key code under the headliner for comparison to send to James.

Include the VIN #. For some cars they have a table of key codes to VIN's. Of course that can only work if it was not changed. If you only have 1 set of keys you should have another set made up. For the 2 key system that was a door key, an ignition key, and a gas cap key. One has a light built into the head. For the 1 key system it is only the one key (no light). I think DMCH now has a blank for the 1 key system that has the light in it. If you have the luggage rack and ski adapter there will be another key. To save wear and tear on the key and door locks get a remote entry key fob. Be very careful with the door lock. In fact, it was such a problem it was the SECOND service bulletin! Look up ST-02-6/81.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

James decoded my key without a problem. My understanding is the factory only had 6 or 8 key designs. I sent James a bad picture and a day later DMC Houston called me and asked how many keys I wanted to order. When I was trying to get new keys, I bought blanks assuming I would have them copied, but noone would copy the DMC blank, I heard everything from "the computer won't copy it" to, "we cant have the liability of copying a key for a car like that". James was able to identify my key code and cut new keys for me. Which helped when I ordered the door lock replacement.

Send the picture....its easy

Do they charge for decoding?

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Do they charge for decoding?
    It was a long time ago but I didn't pay anything. There's a limited number of ridges to measure. I believe it only takes a minute or so for someone who knows how it works. I went ahead and ordered the spare keys directly from DMCH along with some other parts.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Not sure what the policy is now but when I did it they decoded for free if you bought a key or a lock.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast