FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Key codes

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I want to verify the key code for my car; it appears the tumbler was re-keyed, I want to make sure the key code under the headliner is accurate.

The PO gave me the original assembly (ignition switch/tumbler/column thing) with a matching key, as well as two keys to the car that work in the ignition, doors, and storage compartment.

IIRC, James Upset Epsey can decode a key using a pic....can anyone who has done this confirm/deny that is correct? Can all the DMC vendors do it, or only James?

I sent a pic of my current working key, door writing, previous key that works with the replaced ignition switch assembly, and proof of ownership.

They quickly verified the code on the door matches the currently working key. The key that matches the [replaced] ignition switch assembly is a different code, so I think the PO replaced the entire assembly, but swapped the cylinder instead of all the other locks on the car.

I also sent key code info for 4728 so they'll have it in their records....maybe that'll help the future owner someday. I know of another owner that was able to get a lost key replaced due to DMCH having his key code on file, it saved the cost of a locksmith.
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 12-06-2019 at 05:52 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is possible to send the ignition cylinder out and have it recombinated so the door key will work in it (as long as you have the 1 key system). If the door key will fit into the ignition it should be possible. A locksmith like Jesser Keys can do it. That way you will only need the one key to drive the car.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

I only think about this thread (and others like it here over the years) in the springtime, when we get a lot of calls from people who have misplaced keys over the winter...but here's the story on key codes and decoding. When I started at DMC in the summer of 1999, there was no centralized database of key codes for DeLorean cars and only a few surviving records. Early on I gathered up what I could find and there were about 1,000 or so across several different documents. I've continued to gather them up from various sources over the last twenty years or so and there are now about 5400 - or 60% - of the key codes in our database.

I still offer to do key decoding for owners at no cost via email at [email protected] - ideally, now, I'd like to get them in photographic form like this:

sample for key decoding.jpg

This allows me to keep track of them and make sure that I can keep the right key with the right car. The photo shown here is for illustration purposes only - I grabbed a random key from a car here and went a DMC-owned car for this photo, so if someday someone manages to locate this car and has had the foresight to have a key made matching the one in this photo, it will not work in this car. The photos sent to me by owners are stored are deleted after decoding.

Before we cut keys for anyone, we require valid, government-issued photo ID, an ownership document or insurance card with the name of the person on the ID and VIN of the car in question along with a photo of the door jamb VIN plate. Obviously if the car is locked and that's why you need keys, we'll accept a photo of the dash VIN plate.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    03572

When was the two key system stopped. I'm not sure if my car had new one key locks installed before I bought my car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Right around VIN 4200 was when then 1-key system started. I've heard former factory workers say that the transition was a pain as it suddenly became important that a particular set of doors went with a particular car. Before it made little difference which door went with what car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When was the two key system stopped. I'm not sure if my car had new one key locks installed before I bought my car.
    James Espey, President

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not bad Mike. Lol.

I'm having James use his "force" to make me some keys and locks right now. I was just under the cut off for the one key system.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To convert to the 1 key system you have to do a little filing to the door. Someone had a template they lent out to do it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    To convert to the 1 key system you have to do a little filing to the door. Someone had a template they lent out to do it.
    James told me they send a template with the kit. I've got a pretty good shop, so I don't foresee any issues. If it turns out to be difficult, I may do a "how to" thread.

The locksets come with this tool at no extra cost. The tools supplied to dealers by the original DMC were machined from metal, we had these "two-time use" tools made from Delrin.

j33310.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    James told me they send a template with the kit. I've got a pretty good shop, so I don't foresee any issues. If it turns out to be difficult, I may do a "how to" thread.
    James Espey, President

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2